1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im thinkin or turning two vivariums in to incubators the viv sizes are

L x W x H
24x 24 36

i am thinking of putting selving in there with gaps down the bk of the selves for more air flow i just wanted any opinians and ideas on the whole idea n heating and stuff cheers

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
how many eggs you gonna have in there cos the incubators will be pretty big?

the bigger the incubator the harder it is to keep temperatures stable and consistent throughout the incubator..also the same can be applied to the humidity..

you can use heat mats of cable to heat it placed along the back or on the bottom..obviously this would have to be linked to a stat...cos of the height you may even need 2 but this would also be dependent on the eggs that were to be incubated in them...you may need to think of some insulation on the walls depending on where yyou would be keeping the incubators..styrofoam sheet is pretty good...

it can be good use for old vivs but they have to be sealed correctly and any air movement controlled...best thing to use if you wanna recycle!? little fridges! they do a blinding job when done well... :)

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
I use the same incubator I did 10 years ago.. fish tank, 3 inches of water, submerged water heater, secure lid.. float the eggs in tupperware. 99% successful hatch rate on corns, never gone wrong, never had fluctuating temperatures, humidity always high but not too high. I have 3 of these, each just a standard 2 foot glass tank, I hold approximately 60 eggs in each one at a time.

My main concern with using a viv and not a water tank would be maintaining a constant temperature and humidity, which becomes very simple with just a £10 fish tank heater submerged. They don't use too much electricity either so good for those electric bills.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
fish tanks and styrofoam boxes are the best incubators, as stated above, if you don't want to buy one... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts