Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

What do all you breeders do for incubators,if you make them how do you do it.
Or can you recommend any purpose made ones.

slither61 :D :) :D :) :D :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hovabators work well for corns and other similar sized snakes, but homemade incubators made from poly boxes can do the job equally well 8)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
so could an old fridge

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I will be using a polybox... making it in the next few weeks so will put up piccies when its done.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
well for my incubator which i just hatched some bearded dragon eggs out off all I used was a poly box, vercumilate, heat mat and stat... don't need nothing fancy as long as your careful

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
inside the poly box then covered it in vercumilate... I then put some vercumilate in crix tub which the eggs were laid in so they were away from the heat mat a little... seamed safer to me somehow! :?

G

·
This is what i used to use and how to make it :D

Take a poly box of appropriete size and put in a heat mat to cover the base of it.Insrt a couple of poles into the box at about a third of the way up and then place a box on these poles.Fill the box to about two thirds with sphagnum moss or vermiculite(dampened) and put a thermometer in the box.Now all you need to do is adjust the stat untill you have the required temps.

Here are some pics of how i did ours

This is the outside of the box

This is the inside veiw with boxes

This is the base view with the poles and heatmat

I hope this helps for now.I have found that incubators can be expensive and hard to come by so i made 2 of these but will be getting a converted bottle fridge this year.

The total cost of making this was around £40

Now i use a converted bottle fridge

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got an old mini-fridge that I want to convert into an incubator, but was told that I would need to have the coolant in the pipes at the back drained by a professional as it can be harmful.

Has anyone else had to do this?

Hannah

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nice job Greenphase :D

With the upright fridge what did you use to kit it out? Tube heaters? Fans? Any ventilation points?

Also do you find any gradients in temperature between the top and bottom shelf?

I'm looking at sourcing a smaller model to convert into an incubator so any pointers would be wholly appreciated 8)

G

·
The whole thing is able to say at one temp mate.I think i hade a 0.2 gdegree variation from the bottom to the top.It has 2 heatmats on the base itself and then 2 36x11 heatmats on the sides.I have one pulse stat for 2 heatmats so one to control the bottom half and one to control the top half.The is no ventilation in there apart from where the cables come through and no fan in it as heat mats just cut out when not needed.The air get replaced every couple of days when i open it to check the humidity of the tubs.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Good stuff, thanks for that :thumb:

I've sen a few converted fridges that have been heated with a single tubular heater that gets up to the required temps, but also leaves some variation from top to bottom... Your method with multiple mats and stats seems to be a much better idea. Thanks again 8)

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Have to ask as im ordering everything tonight.. but which is actually better to use?? Sphagnum or vermiculite?? Or isn't there a better one, Just personal choice??

·
Registered
641 Posts
Depends on the eggs I guess. My preference would be perlite as some of the snakes I keep have eggs very susceptible to moisture during incubation...

Not sure how hardy king's eggs are though 8)

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Well ive never looked into how hardy kings eggs are... but going by how hardy kings are I would say tough :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
641 Posts
You'd be surprised, womas can be some tough sob's but even a single drop of moisture can kill an almost full term egg :?

Kings should be a bit easier to incubate though as they're bred quite frequently. With vermiculite it may be easier to keep the eggs stable and monitor the humidity. It's what most people use anyways 8)

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Cheers mate... ill probably buy both so if there are any major problems I can carefully switch over.. going to be so hard not touching them or checking them all the time... I will just want them to hatch :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
tbh Sphagnum moss would be better me thinks... if an egg sinks its easier gto push moist moss over it then take it off than vercumilate... when i done mine never though of moss!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I used vermiculite in ours last year.
But when there were a couple of eggs that dimples I put a little
sphagnum moss over them

G

·
I always use vemiculte to set the eggs in then cover them over with some moss if they appear to be to dry. so to me a mixture of the 2 mate

1 - 20 of 20 Posts