Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Are these any good, the site I am looking at is pricing it at £100 and says that its good for first time breeders, while I will be next season.

So I am planning to get an incubator from santa, you guys think the above is good for the price or is there something better on offer that I should get.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I have one, they're 'OK' and seem to be doing the job, but I never paid anywhere near that price for mine as it was 2nd hand...

I wouldn't personally pay £100 for one, I'd make my own following the thread at the top of the breeding section as they seem to be as good and bigger/more stable. I've noticed some variation in temps and the display temp on the led seems to differ to the thermometer temps I'm reading seperately.

They aren't massive either and they only have one shelf - which is a bit weird...

·
Registered
373 Posts
making one is good too i have a home made one and does as wellas anyother, i used a fish shipment box (poly) heatcable (lieing on bottom of box) used for plant growth etc and a habistat thermostat, (dont use komodo stats as they are crap tbh tyhe temps fluctuate far too much) then make a shelf about half way up with thick gauge mesh and cover that with a tea towel and keep it damp as the heat rises it keeps the humidity perfect,

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Havibator incubators look cool but they cost a small fortune, so their ruled out unless I can find one that's about 100 as well.

I'v read that the display can show an offset of upto 2 or 3 degree's but its easy to fix by checking the inside temp manually with another prob and then changing the systems temp to get the right inside temp that you want.

I might make one but I would rather have something a little less haphazzard, and I really am not very good when it comes to DIY, I tend to be the guy with lots of screws left over lol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
lmfao i can relate to that lol, there was some havobators for sale not long ago for around 75 inc delivery il see if i can find out were it was

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
Havibator incubators look cool but they cost a small fortune, so their ruled out unless I can find one that's about 100 as well.

I'v read that the display can show an offset of upto 2 or 3 degree's but its easy to fix by checking the inside temp manually with another prob and then changing the systems temp to get the right inside temp that you want.

I might make one but I would rather have something a little less haphazzard, and I really am not very good when it comes to DIY, I tend to be the guy with lots of screws left over lol.
I have the Herp Nursery plus two polybox incubators. I can tell you with certainty that the poly box incubators are better. They hold more eggs, and with the right stat have a much greater temp control. Save money, get a polybox free from an aquatic centre, a 22 x 11" heatmat and a pulse stat off ebay and a £2 cake cooling rack from Morrisons. It will be a lot cheaper and probably give you better results. It is very easy to make the incubator, no screws required but a little gaffer tape helps. Give me a pm if you need any help.

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
i can make you a 2x2x2 incubator for £160 delivered m8, a bit more than you want to pay probably but well worth it as they can hold loads of eggs.

amy loveys on here has one and she is well happy with the results

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i can make you a 2x2x2 incubator for £160 delivered m8, a bit more than you want to pay probably but well worth it as they can hold loads of eggs.

amy loveys on here has one and she is well happy with the results
got any pics? its not something I need right away, planning on getting one for xmass to then use in the following breeding season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts