Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, don't flame me for this, I'm just considering the logistics of this as an option and was interesting to know if anyone knew of it being tried and whether it was viable.

I was thinking indian stick insects are easy to keep, are interesting in their own right and eat privet. So once they're set up the cost to keep them is pretty much nothing and they breed inspite of you. So why not use them as a live food for my tarantulas as well?

I just have a couple of questions to ask people,

Has anyone tried this?
How did it go?
Would they be a stable diet for tarantulas?
Could they be harmful to my tarantulas?

Advice please

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'd not recommend it myself. I imagine they'd reproduce and grow far too slow for a sustainable food source. Plus you need to consider that most tarantulas are ambush predators that lie in wait for their prey. They'd be waiting quite a long time for a stick insect to wander by.

In my opinion, the best feeders are actually roaches. They are cheap, nutritious, will eat almost anything, and reproduce rapidly in relatively large numbers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd not recommend it myself. I imagine they'd reproduce and grow far too slow for a sustainable food source. Plus you need to consider that most tarantulas are ambush predators that lie in wait for their prey. They'd be waiting quite a long time for a stick insect to wander by.

In my opinion, the best feeders are actually roaches. They are cheap, nutritious, will eat almost anything, and reproduce rapidly in relatively large numbers.
OK, thanks mate, answers a few questions. I had been considering a roach colony when I thought of this... but I dont have a massive number of tarantulas so I'd end up with hundereds of roaches and not a great deal to feed them too. Although I'm sure my beardie would much a good few.

Excuse to get more animals I suppose though lol.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
havent tried but...

Has anyone tried this?
How did it go?
Would they be a stable diet for tarantulas?
Could they be harmful to my tarantulas?
Q. has anyone tried this?
A. I haven't personally used it but does sound viable...

Q. How did it go?
A. As i said, i have not yet tried

Q. Would they be a stable diet for tarantulas?
A. I think the main reason why i haven't tried stick insects is because there isn't exactly much meat, so unless you got loads and they multiplied alot, and your rigorously take out carcases...

Q. Could they be harmful to my tarantula?
A. not too sure, but im pretty sure that they wouldn't...

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
OK, thanks mate, answers a few questions. I had been considering a roach colony when I thought of this... but I dont have a massive number of tarantulas so I'd end up with hundereds of roaches and not a great deal to feed them too. Although I'm sure my beardie would much a good few.

just an idea on the cockroaches bit when you said that you will get too much for your needs, then why not sell some on classifieds on here? sell for as low as you can when you got loads as this will make up some cash still!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts

When I first tried a roach colony , I offered my pair of beardies a male each . Even the lazy male came running even though they'd not seen them since I'd had them .

They definitely seemed to enjoy them .

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
they would be nutritionally low, could be used as part of a diet, but quite often they just sit still and don't get eaten, or climb to the top of the tank and sit out of reach, better for mantids.

I'd go with roaches for T's

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Well I'm with Danhalen and exopet on this one. No food value and no movement.:lol2:

Don't know if this applies to Ts but privet is poisonous to some inverts and therefore insects eating privet would carry the toxins.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm with Danhalen and exopet on this one. No food value and no movement.:lol2:

Don't know if this applies to Ts but privet is poisonous to some inverts and therefore insects eating privet would carry the toxins.
Oh ok, see didn;t knw the privet thing. Thanks for the info. Roaches it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts