Reptile Forums banner

781 - 800 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys I recently took on a 3 year old Hermanns tortoise that quite frankly was not looked after so well and was kept in a tiny box for most of the year:( Anyway I've done some research and have built an enclosure from an old book case. Its 52" x 32" x 11" in size basically the biggest I could get away with. I've ordered a 100w mega-ray and a holder which will hopefully be here in the next day or so but here's a few pics of what I've done so far:

Picked up a handle from b&q and my daughter decorated the hide lid!

I sealed the bottom with some impenetrable membrane that we had left over from some building work, then filled with 20% sand 80% topsoil. The plants I picked up from dunelm mills and were much cheaper than any pet shop plants I could find. The pebbles came from the beach.

·
Registered
42 Posts
advice

hi everyone,

just totally re-done Finchy's enclosure and wanted advice and thoughts....

he seems to be climbing on top of the hut which is not good what should i do..... also does everyone think he will be ok getting in and out of the water and food bowls?

any ideas on improvements etc would be much appreciated

thanks in advance guys and gals :2thumb:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5w90gmc8wwiusdk/20130603_132718.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
hi everyone,

just totally re-done Finchy's enclosure and wanted advice and thoughts....

he seems to be climbing on top of the hut which is not good what should i do..... also does everyone think he will be ok getting in and out of the water and food bowls?

any ideas on improvements etc would be much appreciated

thanks in advance guys and gals :2thumb:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5w90gmc8wwiusdk/20130603_132718.jpg

It looks a little small for him to me, also I wouldn't have the slate under the heat as it could get too hot for him to bask. Are you using a combi bulb? As I can't see any other UV source?

·
Registered
42 Posts
It looks a little small for him to me, also I wouldn't have the slate under the heat as it could get too hot for him to bask. Are you using a combi bulb? As I can't see any other UV source?
it could be bigger i agree but i have been given LOADS of advice from people who have these indoor rabit/guinea cages with torts in with no isses but i dont know anything :(

its a combi bulb :D

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
Definitely agree about the light over the slate - it will get very hot and be dangerous. Also the food will get very dried up (not sure what it is in the dish) if under the heat source.

They do climb the bars of the cages and can of course fall backwards.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Definitely agree about the light over the slate - it will get very hot and be dangerous. Also the food will get very dried up (not sure what it is in the dish) if under the heat source.

They do climb the bars of the cages and can of course fall backwards.
thanks will be moving the slate right away so heat source is just over soil and finchy can eat somewhere else the dish is just mixed leaves and tortoise pellets in the flat one

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all, loving all the houses. It's given me a lot of inspiration for mine :)
I'm currently in the process of building a torty table/house (well, my dad is :p)
I've got a 2 y/o Marginated, and am planning on using play sand & top soil as I've heard these are the best two to use. Are there any other substrates like bark I can use as well to make things more interesting?
I'm also hearing conflicting advice about water bowls in the house, what are your opinions on this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Amazing!!!

Pics of my new table...

In it I'm using hemp, readigrass, soil, wooden playstix, stones and slate so they have different textures to explore.

image[/QUOTE

:gasp: That's fab!! I need to sort mine out as have just found that Bennie is really Bella & KC (who we thought was female) is a little boy! ooops

·
Registered
25 Posts
Homemade tortoise table to whoever wants it...

I have a homemade tortoise table to give away to whoever wants to come and pick it up - not sure if this is the right place to advertise it.

It's made from coated plywood, and is 12" high, 49" long and 31" wide.

Sadly I had to have my tortoise Oswald put down last week due to a long term health problem, so now find myself at a loose end with this table. I'd like to give it away to someone who needs one.

Please contact me if you are interested, I am in North London. I can't work out how to attach pictures, so will email them if that's alright.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i am new to the forum although iv been getting all my knowledge from here for the past 3 years :)

im just having a nosey at all your enclosures for ideas and have been greatly inspired :2thumb:
i hope to post pictures on here soon

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tortoise House

These pictures are of Sheldon and Lexi's house, any advice/comments welcome. (Hope these work!)

It's a 4ft long enclosure in my bedroom, takes up half the room. Sorry the water's mucky and stairs are dirty - cleaned it before I was going to take the piccy but I have naughty tortoises!
Still needs some work done to it - need to buy some more rocks for climbing over & some more greenery. Tips for a better enclosure will help :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Indigo

I love how fun this looks. Using the imagination and not following the costly consumer world.. Well done ...

781 - 800 of 853 Posts