Reptile Forums banner

801 - 820 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I had it from the rep show it's ment to be good stuff as if they ingest it it's ok and will do no harm???
Sterilsed top soil or as Stephen P already mentioned kokosnot from ikea or you could try coir but again make sure its sterile and contains no chemicals etc.

You have a species of tortoise that really likes to burrow and that substrate will make it difficult for it to do so.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I guess I will be buying some top soil then after all!
Thanks for info!
I knew they like to burrow but thought he'd be ok as he had already been digging in it and hidden himself to sleep!

·
Registered
52 Posts

My home built tortoise table. Only had him 2 weeks so any advice or improvements appreciated.

He has a 50/50 top soil and play sand substrate. Size is about 3ft by 2ft. His lighting is an Arcadia d3 100watt and reflector light fitting. Basking temp is between 32 and 35 depending on temps in house.

Any improvements or obvious things I've missed?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Am I the only vivarium user?

·
Registered
97 Posts
indoor inclosures...

poor you Repitat..
I was told once my Hermann was 3 to have him in an open table top not a viv.. Im not sugesting your doing wrong... Im having a large wooden one made with mesh on as i have a cat and dogs...:2thumb:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I imagine this has been posted at random points but I'm looking to rehome a hermanns soon and I'm building a tortoise table.
What sort of substrate is best. Is (non chemical) soil okay?
I was thinking of doing a bit under 4' x 2' with about 2/3 grassed with dandelions and pansies dotted about. And 1/3 soil for digging etc.
A few hides and a large water bowl dug in.

Regarding UVB/heat would a Combination spot/UVB lamp do the chap? Or will that be too concentrated?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here's mine a made from a dining table. Before I used a vivarium, and I wasn't taking good care of my two, but now they live in luxury…

For substrate I used plain soil mixed with sand. Please let me know what you think..

Reactions: Bloorbabe

·
Registered
97 Posts
Reptitat
I like it, i cant have an open table as i have a cat! So mine is in a large indoor rabbit cage while only a youngster of 3.. Then he will go into a wooden one im having built which will also have a mesh top to it.. Missing Hector at the minute as hes been in hibernation for 3 weeks now..

·
Registered
18 Posts
We've just
built this as we were miss sold a viv, the floors tortoise terrain with sand. We're going to make it more interesting with artificial plants and rocks/stones but I have a question about the lighting.. Is there anything I need to remove or add to keep him happy? Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
We've just imagebuilt this as we were miss sold a viv, the floors tortoise terrain with sand. We're going to make it more interesting with artificial plants and rocks/stones but I have a question about the lighting.. Is there anything I need to remove or add to keep him happy? Thanks :)

Can't see the pic Zoe, but I would avoid sand if for a Med or Russian species. Topsoil is just fine on it's own.
ps my family are in Northwich, just up there right now :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Can't see the pic Zoe, but I would avoid sand if for a Med or Russian species. Topsoil is just fine on it's own.
ps my family are in Northwich, just up there right now :)
I've just mixed my substrate with sand and soil. Is this alright for Hermann's?

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
I've just mixed my substrate with sand and soil. Is this alright for Hermann's?
No, sand can irritate their eyes. Topsoil from Homebase, B&Q, Wickes etc - but check it first B&Q's is known to have lots of "extras" in it. That said, we now use Kokosnot from Ikea which is much better - have a look on their website, but check quantities in stock before setting off!

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
I keep mine in a large viv is that bad? Or is a table better? Only cause my herman is quite big and climbs a lot.xxx
A table is a better setup for them. If you make your own you can have the sides a good height so they have a deep substrate to dig about in and no risk of being able to climb over the edge. Vivariums do not allow a change of temperature, ie a warm end of 30 - 32c, and a cool end of 18 - 20c as the overall floor area is smaller. They cannot get away from the heat and can of course become frustrated at being able to see out, but not being able to get out because of the glass doors. The width of a vivarium can only just give them room to turn around. An adult tortoise needs a large area particularly a male.

·
Premium Member
16,485 Posts
A table is a better setup for them. If you make your own you can have the sides a good height so they have a deep substrate to dig about in and no risk of being able to climb over the edge. Vivariums do not allow a change of temperature, ie a warm end of 30 - 32c, and a cool end of 18 - 20c .

While I agree that tables offer a lot of advantages the bit about temperatures isnt true. You can easily achieve a good thermal gradient in a vivarium - snake keepers have been doing it for years. I have several 6ft vivariums (for snakes) that have hot end temps of 32-35 degrees and cool end temps of 20-22 (well whatever the ambient room temperatures are)

I am not saying that people should use vivs but using the temperature gradient as a reason not to weakens the argument, as it simply isnt the case.

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
While I agree that tables offer a lot of advantages the bit about temperatures isnt true. You can easily achieve a good thermal gradient in a vivarium - snake keepers have been doing it for years. I have several 6ft vivariums (for snakes) that have hot end temps of 32-35 degrees and cool end temps of 20-22 (well whatever the ambient room temperatures are)

I am not saying that people should use vivs but using the temperature gradient as a reason not to weakens the argument, as it simply isnt the case.
I don't know many people that have 6' vivariums, and will stand corrected. Most of the vivariums that are used seem to be 3' or 4'.

That said, a vivarium does not provide for the depth of substrate needed.

801 - 820 of 853 Posts