Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hey folks, it's finally here! I'm so excited.

So the pond itself is the Laguna 1300 litre holding tank (thanks Graham!) like so

And this is where it sits in relation to the rest of the room. The middle of the fireplace marks the approx middle of the room, so although it's huge it doesn't ruin the room. Also a sneaky pic of devil-eyed Dale, who supervised the whole operation. Ignore that big unit on the right hand side, that's gone.

The basking/nesting area is 2 storage tubs sitting on a frame made of that 40mm white pipe used in plumbing (thanks Rom!). The 2 tubs were bolted to the frame. The back 4 legs were filled with sand, and the whole structure will be full of water now too. Like so

With hindsight, OH says we perhaps should have made horizontal supports between the bottom of all 3 sets of legs, since the bottom of the pond was not completely flat. Although the weight of the water has probably sorted this by now. So far so good, but we may alter this later.

The access ramp was made using one of the lids off the tubs, and a Juwel background was bolted to this for grip and cos it looks quite natural and fits in.

You can also see the filter in this pic, more on that later. But note our technical means of sitting the filter at the correct height. A pile of books! The ramp was supported by another small frame made of the white pipe, and the green lid was bolted to the tub.

I lined the tubs with industrial strength black bags, to try and stop any water coming through where the bolts are. I decided against sealing these areas, as the very nature of the bolts and screws means I'd be very lucky to not still have tiny holes. So far, the sand is staying dry. I keep the right hand side slightly damp, so they can lay here if they want to. That was the plan behind using 2 separate tubs.

So then I removed the excess bag, got the light in place and decorated!

So the filter. To make the filter, we used a 48 litre kitchen bin, drilled a 38mm hole through it and wiggled a piece of white pipe in. We sealed extra rubber seals (from unused T pieces) around the joins using aquarium sealant and basically sealed the whole thing up tight. After leaving it to cure we tested it in the bath using a garden hose, and all was well. So into place it went as per the pic above. We used an extra 90deg bend and down piece to direct the water so we didn't have excess noise (down piece not in this pic).

After discovering the flow through from the pump was really strong, we decided to add more pieces to direct the outflow, making a current. We also added a 90deg bend inside the filter, at approx a 45deg angle, as we were getting sucky noises with the plain pipe and they were irritating. So we have a silent running pond. This was pretty much essential, due to its position.

So once the filter was full of very well rinsed Alfagrog (almost an entire bag!), the moment of truth was upon us. We started filling it.

An hour later, here we were. Not the best pic, but you get the idea!

We then put the bamboo screening all around it, including the filter, and attached using heavy duty twisty wire. The black tubing from the pump was also brought up above the water and run aloong the side of the pond, attached to the bamboo using the twisty wire too. Like so

So all that was left to do was introduce the turtles, secure the last bit of bamboo and keep our fingers crossed! So far, everything is as it should be, and nothing has been knocked fatally out of place!

You can see Murtle peeking out in this pic, as well as a bit more of the filter outlet creation

And here's Morvern and Daisy, Molly was hiding under the basking area, bless her.

Still to do is put a big terracotta plant pot in there as a hidey hole, and I'm also toying with putting my lucky bamboo stalks in there.

So that's that. Huge thanks to everyone who has previously posted their pond builds, their ideas, and helped me on my home made filter thread. It's all been so useful. Will include a full price breakdown in a following post, cos I know how much cost can matter. I will probably also add some more pics, as we took a bunch on the OH's phone, and I forgot to email them to myself!

Reactions: Montage_Morphs

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So the total price :blush: All prices include P&P where applicable and are rounded up.

Pond + courier (GardenSite + Parcelforce) = £165
Basking tubs x2 (Focus) = £8
40mm pipe + assorted pieces (Focus) = £40
Dracaena plant (Focus) = £4
Heavy duty twisty wire (50m) (Focus) = £5
Bin (Focus) = £15
Playsand x5 bags (Argos) = £15
Chain x1m (B&Q) = £4
Bamboo (4mx1m rolls) x2 (B&Q) = £30
12" Hanging basket bracket (eBay) = £4
3000 LPH pump (eBay) = £30
Black tubing x2m (eBay) = £5
Aquarium sealant (eBay) = £5
Alfagrog (Dobbies) = £20 (last time I bought was £13! grr)
Juwel background 50x60cm (Acorn) = £13
Fixings (B&Q) = £10

So I believe that comes to £373.

Other things I had to buy specifically were the bulb (Solar Glo, £25, Zooplus) and a garden hose (on a reel, 25m + various attachments, £25, Focus).

All the decor and the large exo terra holder I already had.

Hope it helps :) Was a bit more in the end than I anticipated (but I did get 10% off everything bought in Focus), but we did buy everything new and off the shelf, and I still think less than £400 for a 1300 litre setup is pretty damn hunky dory.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
When my koi vat becomes too small I know what I'll be doing:2thumb::2thumb:

Seriously impressive build:D

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very nice, what size is it? in feet? really nice set up
Thanks. It's 6x4x2ft. I love it, just keep looking at it cos it's like something I only ever see online that other people have done :flrt:

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When my koi vat becomes too small I know what I'll be doing:2thumb::2thumb:

Seriously impressive build:D
Thank you so much. I should also shout out to my wonderful fiance, who has jumped pretty firmly on board with Chelonia keeping, and done most of the hard work. :D

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Thank you so much. I should also shout out to my wonderful fiance, who has jumped pretty firmly on board with Chelonia keeping, and done most of the hard work. :D
haha wish my family were so keen... My mum didn't know about my 'little upgrade' so when she seen a delivery driver carry a 100G tub over his head she freaked out just a tad:S

Seriously loving the filter... spent over £300 on filters for mine and they're an inch away from hitting a skip now:devil::devil:

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha wish my family were so keen... My mum didn't know about my 'little upgrade' so when she seen a delivery driver carry a 100G tub over his head she freaked out just a tad:S

Seriously loving the filter... spent over £300 on filters for mine and they're an inch away from hitting a skip now:devil::devil:
My mum was seriously freaking out (not to mention confused!) at the thought of a pond in my living room, and I don't even live with her anymore :lol2:
She thought it was going to ruin the room in a way, cos I have it so nice. Well I think my room's nice anyway, I chose everything in it! I was toying with the idea of home made filters for a while, for tanks as well. After reading more about it and getting some help here, I figured it's the best way to go. A canister filter is basically the very same, except the water inside is pumped out, whereas with the home made ones the water exits under gravity. I played with using 2 pumps but it got too complicated!

That is fanatastic. Would never have thought of hanging the lighting from a hanging basket fitting.
Thanks very much. I always mention hanging basket brackets with MVBs, saves a fortune on lamp stands and they're attractive. Plus, I don't even know if you can buy a lamp stand high enough for my setup :)

Just make sure you take the bracket with you when buying chain, to make sure the links fit. That's what I done anyway, I didn't want to just hook the chain to the bracket.

We had to add that chunk of wood though, cos even the 12" bracket wasn't extending far enough. Luckily we still had paint in the shed so it at least matches the walls!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
My mum was seriously freaking out (not to mention confused!) at the thought of a pond in my living room, and I don't even live with her anymore :lol2:
She thought it was going to ruin the room in a way, cos I have it so nice. Well I think my room's nice anyway, I chose everything in it! I was toying with the idea of home made filters for a while, for tanks as well. After reading more about it and getting some help here, I figured it's the best way to go. A canister filter is basically the very same, except the water inside is pumped out, whereas with the home made ones the water exits under gravity. I played with using 2 pumps but it got too complicated!
haha they do look really ugly until you put something round them... then they turn into a feature:D Well, that's what I keep telling her anyway:p

I got rid of my bed so I could fit in even more tanks... I like my sleep too much though so ended up getting a loft bed- yes those ones made for children and now live above a zoo:p

I would be too scared to put them on fishtanks incase something happened and it syphoned out the water:S I trust Mr Eheim more than I trust me. Deffo doing it for the turts when they need upgraded- The pond will be on the same level as the filter so hopefully that's unsyphonable:)

·
Super Moderator
16,635 Posts
That is impressive! Much more attractive than ours, but then it is in a living room. As we went through the pictures, any queries were sorted, ie they could climb out, wouldn't want to look at that hose etc. It looks really good and you are going to have some happy turtles.

Building the filter isn't difficult and ours is still working really well. We've bought the outdoor pump in and have put that into the indoor pond as it is a better one.

I hope, like us, you find the turtles much more friendlier and they don't jump in when you go near them. Ours are always basking and having a "turtle pileup".

Was there a new word describing your OH casually slipped in there? :flrt:

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
So the total price :blush: All prices include P&P where applicable and are rounded up.

Pond + courier (GardenSite + Parcelforce) = £165
Basking tubs x2 (Focus) = £8
40mm pipe + assorted pieces (Focus) = £40
Dracaena plant (Focus) = £4
Heavy duty twisty wire (50m) (Focus) = £5
Bin (Focus) = £15
Playsand x5 bags (Argos) = £15
Chain x1m (B&Q) = £4
Bamboo (4mx1m rolls) x2 (B&Q) = £30
12" Hanging basket bracket (eBay) = £4
3000 LPH pump (eBay) = £30
Black tubing x2m (eBay) = £5
Aquarium sealant (eBay) = £5
Alfagrog (Dobbies) = £20 (last time I bought was £13! grr)
Juwel background 50x60cm (Acorn) = £13
Fixings (B&Q) = £10

So I believe that comes to £373.

Other things I had to buy specifically were the bulb (Solar Glo, £25, Zooplus) and a garden hose (on a reel, 25m + various attachments, £25, Focus).

All the decor and the large exo terra holder I already had.

Hope it helps :) Was a bit more in the end than I anticipated (but I did get 10% off everything bought in Focus), but we did buy everything new and off the shelf, and I still think less than £400 for a 1300 litre setup is pretty damn hunky dory.
This looks great, and shows fantastic commitment to those animals of yours!:notworthy:

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Very grateful for this thread, I've been looking at options for upgrading my turtles but not come across the laguna tubs before. Yours looks great. 1300 litres is huge, I'd have to look at adding more turtles, 2 would seem lost in all that space!

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha they do look really ugly until you put something round them... then they turn into a feature:D Well, that's what I keep telling her anyway:p

I got rid of my bed so I could fit in even more tanks... I like my sleep too much though so ended up getting a loft bed- yes those ones made for children and now live above a zoo:p

I would be too scared to put them on fishtanks incase something happened and it syphoned out the water:S I trust Mr Eheim more than I trust me. Deffo doing it for the turts when they need upgraded- The pond will be on the same level as the filter so hopefully that's unsyphonable:)
They do turn into a feature :D

The pond could still theoretically be emptied all over my floor, if the black tubing was pulled out of the filter, or the filter got knocked over, or failed :? The pump would continue to move the water and the pond would be empty in less than 20 minutes! I have the black tubing right down into the bottom of the bin, and have secured it best I can without drilling through the pond itself, so can only keep an eye on it! It took a little fiddling to get the flow through the filter just right, and it would appear that if we turn the pump off, when we turn it back on, the bin almost overflows so we have to turn the bend piece inside the filter to 90deg, instead of the approx 45deg, then slowly turn it back once the flow has caught up. :D

That is impressive! Much more attractive than ours, but then it is in a living room. As we went through the pictures, any queries were sorted, ie they could climb out, wouldn't want to look at that hose etc. It looks really good and you are going to have some happy turtles.

Building the filter isn't difficult and ours is still working really well. We've bought the outdoor pump in and have put that into the indoor pond as it is a better one.

I hope, like us, you find the turtles much more friendlier and they don't jump in when you go near them. Ours are always basking and having a "turtle pileup".

Was there a new word describing your OH casually slipped in there? :flrt:
Thanks very much Stephen, there was indeed a new word in there :flrt: Bless him, he's been fab really. I so hope to see a pile up, I've only ever seen a slight pile up with Molly and Daisy, the other 2 have always lived alone.

This looks great, and shows fantastic commitment to those animals of yours!:notworthy:
Thanks Paul :) Got to keep that huge cooter of mine in fab condition, and sort out the other 3, who were all rescues and need some shell TLC.

Just saw your post on preview Simon, thanks a lot :) I love my Laguna tub. The place I bought from is in Birmingham, and the tub is listed as collection only, but after a long email conversation with a member of staff, it turned out they could courier it using Parcelforce large. Although the courier guy said their H&S people were not happy when they saw it so I may have been lucky.

Anyway, the reason I was telling you all that, was if you wanted this tub couriered, the weight is approx 20Kg, so you can get courier quotes. Maybe not bother with Parcelforce though :lol2:

And even with only 2 turtles in it would be fab :D

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Just saw your post on preview Simon, thanks a lot :) I love my Laguna tub. The place I bought from is in Birmingham, and the tub is listed as collection only, but after a long email conversation with a member of staff, it turned out they could courier it using Parcelforce large. Although the courier guy said their H&S people were not happy when they saw it so I may have been lucky.

Anyway, the reason I was telling you all that, was if you wanted this tub couriered, the weight is approx 20Kg, so you can get courier quotes. Maybe not bother with Parcelforce though :lol2:

And even with only 2 turtles in it would be fab :D
Thanks for that, just got a quote of £11.99 for next day delivery with Paisley Freight which Gardensite suggest trying which isn't bad!

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
I've got three of these laguna tubs (and several smaller ones)... they are brilliant. luckily my folks live in Birmingham, so I get them delivered there and then they fit quite nicely on my roofrack :)

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Very nice, shows what can be done with a little thought and ingenuity, all made from bought components too so anyone can do it!

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well done Dawn, that's amazing!... and I bet it's much more fun than watching TV. Lucky turts :flrt:
Thanks Jo :) It is better than TV! I just keep standing there watching them. Like I said earlier, I can't believe I've finally got this! I'd hardly been keeping them all in awful conditions, but it obviously wasn't ideal, and it feels so good now to have them in there.

Thanks for that, just got a quote of £11.99 for next day delivery with Paisley Freight which Gardensite suggest trying which isn't bad!
That's great, I was going to try them cos I only emailed to get the weight so I could arrange my own courier, but the girl said they could do it for me so I let them! :lol2:

Funny thing though, they'd obviously never been asked for the weight, the girl I had the email conversation with had to bring her bathroom scales in to weigh it for me!

So maybe another shout out for Liane at GardenSite, she was lovely :D

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very nice, shows what can be done with a little thought and ingenuity, all made from bought components too so anyone can do it!
Thanks Graham, I'm dead chuffed with it. So glad I saw the link you posted ages ago, god knows if I would even have found the Laguna tubs, or how long it would have taken!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts