Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys have indoor turtle ponds?

I'm just thinking of when our 2 get too big for their 5' tank. I've seen some cracking pictures online and even just a simple preformed pond sat on the floor which I guess would do the job and you don't need to worry about winters etc.

And of course compared to a suitable sized glass tank the price is much cheaper. I was just looking at a 1250 litre for £170 and 1365 litres for £200.

Incidentally what is the suggested size for an adult Peninsula cooter and YBS?

·
Super Moderator
16,556 Posts
We're in the middle of building one at the moment!

Its 106 x 80 x 80cm, which is about 530 litres (full to the brim). We've made a frame using 2"x2" and then fixed plywood internally so its smooth and no prominent battens sticking out. The base is lined with carpet underlay for added security!

We've just the last bit to attach and then put the liner in. We're using dpc polythene membrane from Wickes as its so much cheaper.

Certainly it will be up and running by October time when they have to come back in. The idea is to save on costs as they can go straight from the outdoor pond to the indoor instead of all their separate tubs, lights etc.

Its roughly 40 litres per inch of first turtle and 20 litres per inch for the second and so on. So if they are say 10", 400 + 200, so thats 600 litres. At the moment, though ours, fortunately, aren't that big....only a matter of time!

May, eventually get round to posting pictures if anyone is interested....

·
Super Moderator
16,556 Posts
OK, I'll sort some out in the next day or two. There are some on here already of the outdoor pond and one or two of our "collection", but don't want to bore you too much!

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
It's very easy to do something like Stephen has done, or get a flimsy preformed pond and build a simple wooden frame to support it, which is usually cheaper than buying a large rigid self-supporting pond. Wrap a bit of something decorative around it, like bamboo screening on a roll, add some plants etc.., and you have something that looks pretty good in a domestic setting.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
..Wow....if I was to try doing that in the house i would be easy to find in hospital as the only chap to ever be admitted with 3 large terrapins forcibly inserted into his bum. However I envy all of you who have such supportive partners :)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
..Wow....if I was to try doing that in the house i would be easy to find in hospital as the only chap to ever be admitted with 3 large terrapins forcibly inserted into his bum. However I envy all of you who have such supportive partners :)
:lol2: this is the most hilarious post I have read on here :lol2: My husband is Italian and really does not like any reptile, in his country of birth they are abundant, kind of understand that, but hey ho, he supports my love of my 112 year old hermanns tortoise and our new addition of two yellow bellied slider turtles - coz in para! :lol2:

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
We have a system, I do what I like and She doesn't object, She does what She likes and I don't object, sometimes the things that She and I like happily coincide.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
We have a system, I do what I like and She doesn't object, She does what She likes and I don't object, sometimes the things that She and I like happily coincide.
Oh Graham your post is the funniest ever :lol2: Kind of agree with that, we are much of the same :lol2:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thats way too much information, Would they be cooters or little musks?
Rom

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
There is no such thing as too much information however should the situation arise in the future I would hope to have maybe a few hatchling musks on standby as the aforementioned scenario might well prove fatal for me as well as providing minimal basking opportunity for my charges: victory:

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Almost the same as us. I do what I like and he sometimes objects. I ignore him. He does what he likes and I don't object (cos I ignored him, so have no right to, even if I wanted to).

It works :D

There is no such thing as too much information however should the situation arise in the future I would hope to have maybe a few hatchling musks on standby as the aforementioned scenario might well prove fatal for me as well as providing minimal basking opportunity for my charges: victory:
Well now, I thought the sun shone out of your...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts