Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI all,

I have just acquired a new royal and this has increased my collection now to 2 corns and the new one.

My wife has got me to move my collection into the unused coat cupboard. The cupboard is 10 ft long by 4 ft wide.

As there is no direct sunlight or any natural light that comes into the room atr all then would I need to add some light in there for the snakes?

Would I need to add a low wattage bulb such as:

KOMODO NEODYMIUM DAY LIGHT BULB SNAKE REPTILE VIVARIUM 50 75 100 150 WATT ES | eBay

Or would this be a better option:

Exo Terra Repti Glo Compact Fluorescent Tube UV UVB Screw Fitting | eBay

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Buying reptile basking/heat bulbs is a complete waste, especially those neodymium coated ones. A normal halogen flood light from the hardware store will give you the same spectrum at a fraction of the cost, and usually last longer. Since you are talking about a royal python though, Id probably stay away from halogens anyway. They will have a tendency to dry the enclosure out, and humidity is important for royals. I would recommend a tube style fluorescent light though. It will give you a better spectrum and also wont stick down into the enclosure or give something for your snake to wrap around. The CFLs, like you linked to, are pretty easy to break off, and you dont want whats inside those being released into your royal enclosure. For a royal you can just use a T8 bulb, like those made by Komodo, Zoomed, Arcadia ect. If you want to go top of the line you can purchase one of the newer style T5 fluorescents from Zoomed or Arcadia. They have come down in price now, so you can usually pick them up for around the same price as the T8s. They are a little lower profile and last for a year as opposed to the 6-8 months that the T8 bulbs usually last.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
As it's a cupboard and the vivs will be heated the main concern is a cooler ambient temperature.
What I would of is fit good size vents in the cupboard door at the top and bottom.
Also use led lighting as they give off minimal heat.
This could be either individual in each viv or a higher powered one for the cupboard itself.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lighting for either the cupboard or each viv.

My main concern is that is no daylight for the snakes and I am concerned that this will harm their development.

I thought about just using the main ceiling fitting as the source for the daylight, but this would only shine into on of the 3 vivs

I am probably not explaining this correctly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean individuals lights to each tank or a light overall in the cupboard?
If I used a light in the main ceiling fitting then this would not give light to all the vivs

So surely then i would have to add a uv daylight source to each viv?

Sorry i dont mean to keep going on about this but i want the best for my snakes

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
If I used a light in the main ceiling fitting then this would not give light to all the vivs

So surely then i would have to add a uv daylight source to each viv?

Sorry i dont mean to keep going on about this but i want the best for my snakes
The jury's out on the exact benefits of providing UV to snakes but you're right that light is important for snakes. They set their circadian rhythms to the light cycles so you will definitely need a light source.

The 2 options are lights inside the viv with timers/you turn on and off each day or a bright light source in the room itself. Depending on the size and shape of the room a light mounted on the ceiling may not be the best solution so could it be mounted on the wall?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You will need a light cycle to simulate day / night

I use a UV strip in mine which comes to the second point... is UV helpful?

I've read so many yes/no answers that I figured it's not going to hurt to have it in there, so why not, maybe it will benefit and if it does great but if it doesn't I still have lighting.

LED strips in the Vivs wouldn't be a bad option and of course they will still be there should you move the Vivs again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts