Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just a quick question or two
Would like to know if milk snakes in general hide as much as corn snakes?
also what is their reputation for biting?
Only asking as im interested in getting a different snake and i have read abit about the milk snake but just wanted peoples opinion.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
ermm in my experience milks are a little more nippy than corns and they do musk if they want to lol so they can be a little smellly
but they are generally nice snakes

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have a trio of Sinaloan milk snakes they are very similar to corns in my opinion
Ours are not nippy and have not musked us yet

·
Registered
632 Posts
All of the milk snakes i've dealt with have been lovely, i've always found the adults to be slightly more calm than corns (not as quick) and i haven't had one musk either!

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Milk was a little older when i got him and had never been handled, therefore isn't particularly tame. He's very nervous with any contact, however biting has never been a problem, he's never even showed any signs of anger exept for defecation. I'd never be worried about him biting.

He escaped about 2 months ago by forcing open the lid of his plastic tank, and i found him heading under the floor in my study. I grabbed him by his final 1/3rd (he's about 3 foot) and stopped him going further. I then had to pull the floorboards up and get the remaining 2/3 of him above the floor. During this he never went for me once, and was safely in his house after a 10 min struggle which seemed like an hour!

The only thing i'd suggest is if the intention is to get something different from a corn, milks aren't that much different. Other than colouring they are very similar in most respects. Whilst corn and milks can reach 5 foot, length is very deceptive and they don't seem at all big. Therefore i went for a slender boa (BRB) as the wife would prefer i not jump straight to a common boa. To be honest my next goal is going to be breeding the BRB and buying a green tree python, i'm not particularly interested in things that can get to 10 foot (yet!)

·
Registered
632 Posts
kris said:
Therefore i went for a slender boa (BRB) as the wife would prefer i not jump straight to a common boa. To be honest my next goal is going to be breeding the BRB and buying a green tree python, i'm not particularly interested in things that can get to 10 foot (yet!)
You should!! my common is lovely... tree pythons r too highly strung for me!! :lol:

And yeah Milks, corns and kings are all escape artists!!!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
noooooooooo go for the Milk!!! mines great! iv had him from a hatchling hes never been agressive...although he has mistaken my fingers for mice on occasion :lol: hes not escaped yet *tempting fate* but he does have a tendancy to hide in my sleeve when im handling him...which can prove tricky :shock: he may be just a bit odd though as iv always been told that milks love to burrow whereas mine spends most of his time climbing :D as a wise man once said "GET THE MILK!!"

·
Registered
551 Posts
My milksnake has never been nippy and started eating frozen pinkies as soon as I introduced them. I would recomend them to anyone.

It's good to know all you people out their have milksnakes. I felt like I was the only one. Its hardly ever discussed on this forum. Maybe becouse people dont usually have problems with em.

·
Registered
194 Posts
me too! i dont know why people dont talk about them more they're fab little beasties! your probably right they are about as hassle free as snakes get :lol: does your milksnake climb?

·
Registered
632 Posts
i love milk snakes... i think they r one of the prettiest you can get, i was in 2 minds whether to get a milk or a king.. but i went for a cali cause they r beautiful too!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I got my first (and only) milk, a pueblan, 2 years ago as a hatchling. He musked a fair bit in his first year and bit me a couple of times (just out of nerves), but has calmed down a lot recently.
He's still a bit of a handful when he first comes out but calms right down after a minute or two.

I'd heard that they were very shy, nocturnal snakes but mine's always out in the evening, climbing around everywhere, and he's only refused one feed since I've had him.

So I reckon a milk would be a good step up from a corn, but as someone else said they're not that different from a corn. You could also consider any of the kingsnake species - kings/milks = basically the same thing.

A rainbow boa would be ok but some are a bit snappy and unpredictable. A colombian that I used to have was a bit of a psycho - all calm one minute, then repeat striking the next. They're also very strong snakes for their size when older.

Other option could be rosy boas, childrens/spotted pythons, an asian or earopean rat snake species, or even a garter snake - smaller but very underrated IMO.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It's only a garter!

They can be a bit lively when they smell food though - my red-sided always favours fingers over mice when he gets chance :D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thankx everyone so far for the info i mainly wanted to know if they hide as much as corns cause i have 2 corns one hatchling and one adult, and i never see the adult that much as shes always hiding (even at night) i see the little one more, it does tend to come in the evening.

So i am hoping to get a another snake that i will see more of.

Thanks again everyone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts