Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting an infrared thermometer and noticed that a couple of reptile brands like Lucky reptile produce them and they are for around £20. Not sure if there any good at that price though. So I thought I would ask a couple of questions.

Anyone use them?
What do you think of them?
Would you recommend them? If so, is there a particular one you would recommend?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Do a search on here for them. There are a few discussions on here about them, types to go for etc. No point in part repeating whats already been discussed now is there :gasp:

Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,486 Posts
they are useful as an adjunct to a regular thermometre - but will not measure air temps just the temperature of a physical object in an environment.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
If you want it to spot check for any problems they are great.
Accuracy on even the best is about +-2c due to the way they work.
Get one that allows you to change the emissitivity so you can adjust it for the type of surface you are reading from.

Reactions: Jeffers3

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
If you want it to spot check for any problems they are great.
Accuracy on even the best is about +-2c due to the way they work.
Get one that allows you to change the emissitivity so you can adjust it for the type of surface you are reading from.

This is all good advice. It's the last bit that causes the most problems. If this isn't done, the measurements can be miles out.

Reactions: Lord Vetinari

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
If you test it on your own hand and it's in the 80's Fahrenheit you'll know you're not a million miles away. Every time I've ever checked my hand temperature it's been between 80 and 85 Fahrenheit, so while you might be a few degrees out you'll still be in the ball park.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
If you test it on your own hand and it's in the 80's Fahrenheit you'll know you're not a million miles away. Every time I've ever checked my hand temperature it's been between 80 and 85 Fahrenheit, so while you might be a few degrees out you'll still be in the ball park.
That only shows that it is showing a correct reading for skin, even that can vary depending on the skin colour.
Every type/colour surface has different reflective properties and as the I.R. Thermometer uses reflection then you need to know the emissitivity properties of the surface you are taking the reading from and adjust the thermometer accordingly.
For example you could have 3 setups 1 with woodchip for substrate, 1 with aspen and 1 with newspaper. 1 could be spot on, 1 way under and the other way over temperature but all show the same readings.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I use a Precision Gold N85FR from Maplins. Think it cost around £50? I wouldn't know how accurate it is but I find it useful for giving an indication of basking spots, water temps etc, in addition to using static digi thermometers. So far all my reps are still alive : victory:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The one I use is the Fluke 62. Expensive at approx £100 but it's a Fluke. Fluke are world leaders in test & measurement equipment manufacture. I also need it for other work related applications.

F

·
0 Posts
Assuming you mean the lazer temperature guns we use cheapo £15 ones for our daily temperature checks and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
That only shows that it is showing a correct reading for skin, even that can vary depending on the skin colour.
Every type/colour surface has different reflective properties and as the I.R. Thermometer uses reflection then you need to know the emissitivity properties of the surface you are taking the reading from and adjust the thermometer accordingly.
For example you could have 3 setups 1 with woodchip for substrate, 1 with aspen and 1 with newspaper. 1 could be spot on, 1 way under and the other way over temperature but all show the same readings.
I'm not really sure what you mean by way under. When I point it at my hand and it, over a period of 5 years continues to show somewhere between 84f and 87f I feel this is consistent. During this 5 year period I have at the same time been checking temps in about 20 different cages and the laser thermometer readings generally concur with the cage thermostat readings and the in cage thermometer readings which are also consistent with what the reading from my hand says. I know the temperature on my hand should be approximately what the laser shows anyway so when the laser also at the same time concurs with the temps near the probe of a stable running cage stat and the in cage thermometers are also similar to these readings to within a few degrees, this is essentially a triple check, using the human body, 20 cage thermostats and 20 in cage thermometers, all concurring with several weekly checks done over a period of 5 years. So while different surfaces and colours may cause different readings, my cages which are all made of the same material with similar substrates of newspaper and orchid bark or chippings do not produce hugely different readings because the cage material will all be similar and the half inch of substrate or newspaper can simply be moved so i can measure the temperature of the cage floor. So effectively my laser thermometer has remained accurate consistently over a long period of time, so while it might not be 100% spot on, it is consistent enough and close enough to the true temperature to be fit for purpose for use in a reptile house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts