Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I want to see about getting one of the above. I want to get one as cheap as I can get, but still reliable, which I understand is not usually how it works lol
Anyone got a cheap one that actually works? And how can you test it to make sure it is reliable?
Cheers
Tina

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi.

I got mine for £27 at a pet shop near the west midlands, although ive seen them on the net for as much as £40.
In mine opinion they are worth there weight in gold. I could not imagine
being without one. I can only guess the price is the reason they are not sold in all reptile shops.
I calibrate mine on the pulse on my rist and havent had any problems,ive had it for a couple of years. They send out an infared beam to the object you point it at and it gives you the reading instantly. You can realy get an idea of the true temperature of the viv aswel as being able to tell what your reptiles temperature is. You can fine out the exact temps of all the different spot the reptile hangs out, which would take hours if you were to
maually place a themometer in. Themometers only tell you the air temperature, with infa red you know the surface temperature.

In the room wheres the reptiles are I place normal thermometers in key
temperature spots,ie hots and coolest parts of room. So after playing
with the infa red for a while I can give a good guess what the temperature is where the reptile is. This makes fine tunning alot easyer and quicker.You would be surprised how hot the hotest spot actually it if you measured it with a normal thermometer, this especilly so it the heat mat in placed on the ground and the reptile is heavy.

It would intesting to see what people think as to there reliability.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. def going to get myself one as soon as i can

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts