Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where to write this and then found the Habitat forum so this seemed appropriate...

I've always been a snake man. I love them. they're just fascinating.

Recently though I've began keeping lizards as well. I've currently got a trio of ackies and a pair of leo's. Now last night I was sitting in the reptile room looking at Fluffy (10ft retic) and i couldnt help but feel guilty.

Now both lizard set ups i've got are awesome. as natural feeling as i can get them. lots to do and what seems like a bunch of enrichment for the animals with loads of space.

Its not the same for the snakes. They really do feel like captives to me now... How do enrich a snakes life? you cant...
You put them in a box with a water bowl and a couple of hides and throw a rat in once a week.

I do genuinely feel really uneasy about this today...

I think I'm going to have to try and really go to town on the snakes vivs with faux rocks, bio active substrate and UV lights and see if that allows me to feel better about it.

Has anyone else ever had this crisis of conscience before? lol.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been sat thinking and reading all morning and i think what im gonna do is start with fluffy's viv and try and make it almost a show piece...

Cocofibre and dirt background, maybe a waterfall and some inventive hides... maybe a hollow tree stump and a rock hide to replace the two upside down dog beds he currently has...

Now something I would like some advice on... if i did this would i be able to add some other animals to the set up?
I'm thinking small tree frogs or geckos. maybe a combination of the two. Something small enough that fluffy wouldnt see it as food. Is that doable? or would he eat them regardless of size?

If it would work any recommendations on small lizards or amphibians from the same area and environment?

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Make sure whatever plants, branches, logs etc. you put in can be secured well otherwise it will be a full time job rearranging everything.
Yes U.V. would be beneficial.
Also I find that simulated sunrise, sunset and moonlight gives a great appearance as well as giving a proper day/night cycle for the retic.
As for other habitants there will most likely be some that could go in there but there's no way of preventing them being crushed unless you section a part off using plexiglass or something. This would ensure their safety and allow you to create a required environment for them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure whatever plants, branches, logs etc. you put in can be secured well otherwise it will be a full time job rearranging everything.
Yes U.V. would be beneficial.
Also I find that simulated sunrise, sunset and moonlight gives a great appearance as well as giving a proper day/night cycle for the retic.
As for other habitants there will most likely be some that could go in there but there's no way of preventing them being crushed unless you section a part off using plexiglass or something. This would ensure their safety and allow you to create a required environment for them.

Yeah ive been thinking that lol. i like the idea of a day/night cycle with possibly orange LEDs for morning and evening and a blue light for night time. its actually something im considering installing in all my vivs

the crushing aspect was something that i worried about too so ive axed those plans.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I have red led's gradually come on first with white a while after followed by blue. The red and blue aren't noticed during the day due to the brightness of the whites but they help promote plant growth.
Late evening the whites fade off first which gives a red sunset as the reds are set brighter than the blues. Then the reds fade off leaving just the blues which fade off later leaving darkness until early morning when it starts over again.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
yeah I think I do know what you mean.

My set ups for my corns are (imo) much better than my royals. Even tho my royals (sub adults up) are in 4ft vivs. Which is like a macmansion for most royals kept in shoeboxes

its easier (imo again) to fix up sets ups for small agile stuff

good luck!!

and the fact you think of it puts you ahead of the game (again imo)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So as a result of all this i've decided im going to decrease my collection size and move on a few of the snakes.
Just feel that with less of them they can have more time and attention.

I think at this point i've decided on keeping the pair of Boas and the pair of Retics. All 4 will have an upgrade on viv size and i intend to try and create like a forest floor effect for each of them with day/night effect etc. Any vivs or space left afterwards i may get one or two arboreal lizards in nice displays

1 - 7 of 7 Posts