Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this on another site. I know several people that have had problems with the RSPCA and I know a lot of people aren't happy with them, so I thought I'd post it here for those that are interested.

Natrix
-----------------------------------------------------------

PETITION NEEDS SIGNING

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/rspcainquiry/

I'm not a great one for petitions but with the changes expected in April, this one could make the difference between survival and extinction of pet keeping in the UK.
Unlike the police the RSPCA currently answers to on one and is very biassed against all forms of pet keeping. During the well publicised EFRA committee review of the new Animal Welfare Bill several groups likened giving the RSPCA extra powers to giving a fox access to a hen house.

Remember this isn't any old petition, it's a petition on E-Petition. A site set up by Government and watched closely by MPs and Number 10.

Please take a moment to sign it.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
does anyone know any more about this? there's not much of an explanation. Dont want to sign for the heck of it :smile:

·
Registered
399 Posts
They are changing the animal welfare bill in England and Wales so that the RSPCA can remove an animal if the don't have the proper conditions i.e no uv light with a tortoise instead of now where they have to wait until the animal is on deaths door before thay can do anything.This is both good and bad cos they may go power mad as they are against pet keeping in any form or they may be reasonable and use their common sense,either way as of April they will have this power.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
They are changing the animal welfare bill in England and Wales so that the RSPCA can remove an animal if the don't have the proper conditions i.e no uv light with a tortoise instead of now where they have to wait until the animal is on deaths door before thay can do anything.This is both good and bad cos they may go power mad as they are against pet keeping in any form or they may be reasonable and use their common sense,either way as of April they will have this power.
Considering how much the average RSPCA inspector knows about reptiles this can only mean trouble....

·
Registered
351 Posts
I can't sign on the basis that the petitioner has not provided any supporting information, however I do support the bill and don't agree that the RSPCA are not accountable.

Although they are not subject to judicial review they are subject to the law, it's members, and anyone is free to take private actions against them should they disagree with any action taken. Police can also intervene if they believe any action to be unreasonable.

Generally, my feeling is that the RSPCA is a paradox. Established by an act of parliament but funded entirely by donation and therefore it's agenda is set by it's members, which i doubt have reptile keepers as a majority.

If we are to make them or an equivalent accountable as a public body, how many would be prepared to fund it? Will we see the return of the dog licence and the necessary equivalents for our reptiles, cats, hamsters etc?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts