Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have kept snakes for years and heard the stories about hognose bites > nothing to worry about or only a problem if your allergic etc etc so when i found this link i thought i would share it with you for you to make of it what you will ? i personally believe them to be a good snake and not 'too' much of a danger...but... i have seen people recomend them as a good first snake ? yes 95% of hoggies might make a good snake but i personally believe there is no better first snake than a corn. anyway have a look see what you think, not trying to put people off as i think they are great snakes and have had them myself, but it does make you wonder about recomending them as a first snake :wink:

oh and obviously this has a bit of blood so dont look if you dont like, although its not too gory, this is about a snake bite after all

http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've heard about this before too, but aparently the person let the snake bite him for about 5 minutes?? Any snake will reduce that for you and obviously after 5 mins of envonomation from any snake will produce the swelling. Hoggies are all right, there bites are nothing unless they do chew your hand for a good bit! Even then its only minor swelling. But this guy, so i've read somewhere, let the snake bit him/her for 5 mins.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
andysharpe said:
I've heard about this before too, but aparently the person let the snake bite him for about 5 minutes?? Any snake will reduce that for you and obviously after 5 mins of envonomation from any snake will produce the swelling. Hoggies are all right, there bites are nothing unless they do chew your hand for a good bit! Even then its only minor swelling. But this guy, so i've read somewhere, let the snake bit him/her for 5 mins.
good point and i agree, you would get it off asap if it bit you, just thought it was worth sharing to show what the effects could be, for people who say they cant do anything :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah that is very interesting, i cam across it a few months ago, my son showed me it and that put him off buying a hoggie! pool lad... although i prefer him to have the royal... and yeah you're right, one should defo get a snake off ASAP.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Hoggie bites

Hi all

Food for thought, interesting article.

slither61

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
*sigh* My poor rear fanged friends getting stick again :lol: There is one lesson to be learnt from this..

Dont be stupid enough to let a rear fanged colubrid chew on you! Even if it is diddy! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Very Old post now i know .
However it popped up in google while i was searching to show my son , so thought it might be a good ide ato give it new lease of life for some of the newer members who havent seen the possible effects of a hognose bite yet ....

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
if you are stupid enough to go and grab a camera and let let a hoggy chew on you for 5 minutes, then you are going to get a bite that smarts a bit. However if you are a sane person you should be fine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Why did he let it chew on him for several minutes!?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've seen this before...very interesting!! : victory:

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
said this when this was put up befor why the hell let it chop on ya hand for 5 mins and then get worryed when ya hand swells up

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
thanks for that really interesting read although do you think this may be a bit of an extreame case as he did let it have a good chew dont think many people would let a hoggie do that to you lol and also if you watch this weeks snakebytestv episode he lets a hoggie have a chew on him and no reaction lol

YouTube - SnakeBytesTV-Last Episode (April Fools)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
He is obviously a bit thick anyway, he speculates that it's developed large rear teeth to exert greater pressure when biting, not one mention of the fact that they are actually fangs and venomous???

" This guy actively worked at getting his rear teeth engaged. This makes sense to me since enlarged teeth at the rear of the jaw would have greater PSI than those at the front. It may help explain why some snakes have enlarged rear teeth. There might be some correlation between rear teeth size and size of typical prey items, for example. Possibly relatively large prey items and the lack of constrictive powers have encouraged the development of large rear teeth. (Just wild speculation, obviously)."

Of course it actively worked to engage it's rear teeth, it was injecting it's "prey" with venom you idiot!!!!:bash:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts