Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am lucky to have had my wee Karl since September 2012. He's an amazing beardie, so gentle and fun.
Now we're thinking of adopting a crested gecko (not in the same tank obviously), but I'm a bit worried of Karl's reaction. He his very used to his routine and to be the centre of attention (although he also like his "me" time).
I wouldn't want him to be "jealous" and get stressed out. The first time we went on holiday (last September), he didn't eat for almost a month after.
He's all good now :2thumb:
How was it for you, any advice? Should I go for it or leave Karl the only lizard in the house?

Thank you all :)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
It shouldn't inter fear too much with the beardie being diurnal and the crestie nocturnal..

All it means is that once it's lights for out the beardie, it will be time for the crestie to come out and play.. he won't even know! :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
It shouldn't inter fear too much with the beardie being diurnal and the crestie nocturnal..

All it means is that once it's lights for out the beardie, it will be time for the crestie to come out and play.. he won't even know! :2thumb:
What jsk said

·
Registered
611 Posts

It sounds like you'll be having an affair!! Cheating on your beardy with some young and sexy gecko!!
Seriously though, you shouldn't anthropomorphise lizards too much, they're not like humans or even cats and dogs. As long as his set up, feeding and exercise regime stay the same then he won't even notice let alone react.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
It sounds like you'll be having an affair!! Cheating on your beardy with some young and sexy gecko!!
Seriously though, you shouldn't anthropomorphise lizards too much, they're not like humans or even cats and dogs. As long as his set up, feeding and exercise regime stay the same then he won't even notice let alone react.
Did you mean to quote the OP?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know, Karl is a lizard. And I am a worrier ;)
I love him very much and wouldn't want to do anything that could affect him negatively. He came in my life when I was very unwell and helped out by his presence. We have spent the first 5 months 24/7 together, until I could go back to work.
Also I've seen videos of beardies getting upset when their owners were handling other pets.
Thank you for your reply. It sounds reassuring. :)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I know, Karl is a lizard. And I am a worrier ;)
I love him very much and wouldn't want to do anything that could affect him negatively. He came in my life when I was very unwell and helped out by his presence. We have spent the first 5 months 24/7 together, until I could go back to work.
Also I've seen videos of beardies getting upset when their owners were handling other pets.
Thank you for your reply. It sounds reassuring. :)
Just make sure theys no loose shoe laces or vines in his viv he should be fine

Just do as above beardie in day his lights go out 30 mins later crestie can come out our beardies sleep like they are dead nothing wakes them so everything will be fine. Glad to know you care how your beardie may feel though.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Just don't forget rule #1 with lizzies.

QUARANTINE.

for 3 months that new lizzy must be kept totally seperate from your beardie. meaning make sure to wash / disinfect your hands after handling the new lizzy before you go anywhere near your beardie.

there are parasites etc that can be passed between them and until you know 100% that the new one is clear of any nasties you need to quarantine.

do not accept the breeders / shops word for it that they have been treated / seperated etc as most of the time they will not have the facilities to do that, and a lot will say they have been 'deloused' just to make the sale.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts

crepuscular actually!! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.