·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all looking for some opinions

I have two ackies - both seperate and non related - believe to be 2 females

One is slightly smaller than the other - 14 inch vs 16 inch and little chunkier

Once quarantined whats the best way to introduce them to the same viv

Had a problem in the past with beardies that fought.

Been told to set up a neautral viv and introduce them both together - this is what i did with beardies

Opinions please

·
Registered
345 Posts
Been told to set up a neautral viv and introduce them both together - this is what i did with beardies
Sounds like the best plan. I have never had a problem introducing ackies of similar sizes. There may be a bit of dominance behaviour but generally they do quite well in small socila groups.

Rick

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Like Rick said, neutral ground is a good way to go. What kind of dominance behaviour will there generally be Rick? I have read about both males and females (same sex) doing something what looks like copulation as a means of establishing dominance or somthing similar....

: victory:

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
woul placing one in a small plastic viv and placing that in the others viv help to get used to each others scent or would that make territory wars

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
that would just cause frustraiton between them i would do whats be said about introduceing them in a neautral viv, keep a close eye just incase you do get problems they might be a bit of fighting but as long as it doesnt go on and on they`ll be just asserting dominance
good luck:2thumb:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Normal signes of dominance are one lying on top of the other, biting (but never really too hard, just pinching really) and scratching. People often mistake the lying on top part for mating. Ackies, like most monitors, are very gental lovers and when they are copulating there will usually no signs of fighting or biting.

A dominant animal will also usually have first pick of the best basking spot, hide or other favourite place as well as usually being the first to feed.

Rick

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Must have been the lying on top I was thinking of! :lol2: I can't wait to get mine in the new viv :2thumb:

·
Registered
345 Posts
People have told stories of male on male and female on female mating im not saying it can't happen. I have just personally never seen a gay ackie :lol2:.

I guess its like a dog humping your leg or a pillow. Its not right but the dog seems to enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
People have told stories of male on male and female on female mating im not saying it can't happen. I have just personally never seen a gay ackie :lol2:.

I guess its like a dog humping your leg or a pillow. Its not right but the dog seems to enjoy it!
You are very strange mate :whistling2:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Sounds like the sort of things Phil would do :whistling2:

Only kidding PhiPhi, I need you to help me with the polystyrene and yacht varnish! :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like the sort of things Phil would do :whistling2:

Only kidding PhiPhi, I need you to help me with the polystyrene and yacht varnish! :2thumb:

kate im just doing the same - first one didnt work out right -

1st attempt:

2nd attempt:

Help also needed

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Looks really good that danny! I'm hoping to do something similar for the back and the side walls, and then put in a proper shelf under the basking spot for some proper rocks to rest on so I'm not compromising basking surface temps but at the same time avoiding squooshage (yes, that is a word)

·
Registered
345 Posts
The background looks great danny! Make sure you post some pics when its all finished.

You are very strange mate :whistling2:
Hahaha, I agree with Kate though, it does sound like the sort of thing you would do. I've seen you chasing your post man down the road, after his leg with that randy look in your eyes! :mf_dribble:

O, love the new name aswell! PhiPhi has a great ring to it! :lol2:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
O, love the new name aswell! PhiPhi has a great ring to it! :lol2:
See!! I knew it would catch on!!

And yes, I meant we Phil, I have to build the damn viv first, so any takers for helping me get free bru's and burgers!

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what is your next step after poly - the first attempt i grouted then spoilt it by pva sand and masonry paint

Going to take my time this time and do it correct - whats best way

Ps my neutral viv looks rubbish - i put the decor in today and not upto scratch so this has to be finished and work round this

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Corona?? I have to chuck out the old sofa bed first, but the fella is waiting on a back operation next month so I'll have to enlist my mother to help me..

Rick, you seem to good a shovelling dirt from the looks of your albig enclosure so you can definaly help me with that! Don't worry, I'll provide the shovels!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts