Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I picked up this little male Hog Island boa in December. He's called Ruin because we had some problems.

I had some initial problems with temperature - that was my fault *lesson learned* make sure everything is PROPERLY set up before picking up snake.

He didn't feed straight away - I had to try some things and see what worked, but defrosting in water and feeding from tongs seems to work and he hasn't missed a feed since.

He came with mites (or got them soon after), I've only seen 3 (and about 5-10 dead ones), and I've been treating everything with Callingtons. I've done 3 weeks and not seen any more mites (but will keep checking and treating if required).

He's deep in shed right now, so hopefully things will go more smoothly from here after his shed.

Here are some pics I've taken since I've had him. (The lighter photos are from my mobile, the darker ones are from my flatmate's posh camera).

He was sold as a Hog Island Boa - he has a fair bit of black around the markings on his tail, is this normal for a Hog Island, or does he mean he isn't pure Hog Island? (Not that it matters, he's so pretty).

Thanks for the advice I've had so far.
Sid

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
He's a very bonny boy. Glad your over the bumpy bits, everyone has them, don't worry about it. Hope his shed goes smoothly!
Afraid I can't help about the markings/hogg island bit. Dwarf boas aren't really my speciality!

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
Lovely hogg :2thumb:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Lovely snake! Where did you get this little guy? Looking for one myself

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all,

He's a real sweetie and been great to handle so far - hopefully that continues

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some updated photos from a couple of weeks ago. Post shed.

During the day, so his colours are more brown/orange. He goes lighter and more silver/pink at night.

He's growing well, and eating regularly (it was just a case of working out how he liked his rats). Still good to handle, no problem with getting him out of his RUB, just a problem to put him back.

Cheers for looking,
Sid

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Nice looking hog. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A couple of updated pics.

He's now in his 4ft viv and looking tiny in it. He did have a nice home made background, but that got scrapped (see the habitat thread).

He likes this branch and has been doing plenty of impressions of a tree boa.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread.

Sid

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nice to see the growth.....and lovely Boa : victory:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. He's was born last Sept, so just over a year old. He's been growing slowly, and probably just over 3ft in length. I don't think he's going to be huge, but then Hog Islands tend to stay smaller.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thought I'd add a few more photos of Ruin (recently shed pics).

He's been doing really well recently, spends all day in he fav hide and in the evenings comes out and sits on he fav branch (a real creature of habit). His feeding response has gradually got better from when I first got him - I now think he would make a good dustbin like more BCIs and eat anything.

He's one of the most docile snakes I've ever know, really calm and nothing seems to phase him. My other half's nephew loves him and Ruin doesn't seem to mind the attention of a 4 yr old.

He's about 3.5 ft now and growing nice and steady.

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a soft spot for Boas, and he is a beauty. We have a common, 2 peruvian red tails, a kahl albino, a long tail and a rainbow but now think I need to get a hog island.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
He's gorgeous, lovely to see how much he's grown, looks great in the viv too
Absolutely adore boas..can't fault a good tempered healthy boa..and of course you can't jus stick with the one..I know I haven't xD

1 - 20 of 43 Posts