Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My black roughneck monitor has been making a coughing/sneezing noise for about two days, the Vic has a humidifier I just got like two days ago, two feet of soil sand substrate mix and he hasn't been eating as much as he should, I'm havering a panic attack!!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Sounds like a respiratory infection.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what temp is the viv?, how big is viv ?and what are you using to heat it ?
The Viv is 4 feet long 2 feet deep and 3 feet tall, but he is still a baby and I know it's not large enough yet but it's just temporary for a few months. The temp is 140 basking and 70-85 everywhere else. I got an under the cage heating mat, some UV expensive ass watt bulb, it's the most expensive kind they had, and a red light that stays on 24/7 the other one is only on during the day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How often is he doing it? Is there any Mucus coming from his nostrils? Monitors often do a sneeze and its nothing to worry about if their are no other symptoms.
He'll do it about ten times in a row a couple times a day, I don't see anything coming from his nose or mouth, but I usually just hear him do it when he is in his log, he is still basking but like I said he is not eating very much.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
He'll do it about ten times in a row a couple times a day, I don't see anything coming from his nose or mouth, but I usually just hear him do it when he is in his log, he is still basking but like I said he is not eating very much.
I would review your husbandry for a start. He should be pounding down food by now. What are you feeding? I'd take him to the vets just to be sure matey.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Are you the guy that got the roughie in the exo terra viv ??? Like Chris has already stated I would review ur husbandry and vet as soon as u can just incase it gets worse .... The fact that he isn't eating and the coughing maybe b two seperate things ... He maybe stressed and this may be the reason he isn't eating ... Have u got plenty of hides ??? Wot his temps ?:2thumb:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you the guy that got the roughie in the exo terra viv ??? Like Chris has already stated I would review ur husbandry and vet as soon as u can just incase it gets worse .... The fact that he isn't eating and the coughing maybe b two seperate things ... He maybe stressed and this may be the reason he isn't eating ... Have u got plenty of hides ??? Wot his temps ?:2thumb:
Haha ya I'm that guy, my names Gary, and I changed the substrate and the husbandry should be perfect, he's got plenty of hides and the temps are good too, ill probably take him to the vet at some point this week, I read that the coughing could be gout but I heard that doesn't happen unless he's been dehydrated for a while, in any case I'm still worried, and I know the cage is too small but like I said its only temporary, I guess not a lot of people have this species because its extremely hard to find info about him.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Haha ya I'm that guy, my names Gary, and I changed the substrate and the husbandry should be perfect, he's got plenty of hides and the temps are good too, ill probably take him to the vet at some point this week, I read that the coughing could be gout but I heard that doesn't happen unless he's been dehydrated for a while, in any case I'm still worried, and I know the cage is too small but like I said its only temporary, I guess not a lot of people have this species because its extremely hard to find info about him.
There is info on them u just have to look and ask people ... there ate plentu of people on here with roughies u just have to pm them to find more info ....and gout isn't just about hydration it's also about the right temps and thermo gradient .....look up gout in monitors on google an u will find all about it and gout is a very bad thing indeed most monis don't come back from a bad case ...

Wot is ur setup details and we will tell you wether it's perfect ...: victory:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.