Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonder what is the gender of my red eared slider terrapin.I kept it for 4 years already and only now wanted to find out =[ Here is the picutres.Sorry low quality

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Looks to be female to, can you provide a pic from above looking down on its head, as it kind of looks like their is a lump on her ear?.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
It's female.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can you all explain to me why it's female? i want to learn more about terrapins.Intrested in breeding.Oh and i serve the internet.It states that female have outward bellies on the bottom shell.But mine looks inwards.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
It states that female have outward bellies on the bottom shell
That's nonsense, one of those myths that has been perpetuated for decades, like the one that says if you keep them in a small tank they'll stay small! For every female turt you can find with a convex plastron I'll show you another with a concave one, which is supposed to be the sign of a male!

The way you tell that yours is female is by looking at her front claws and her tail. Mature males develop very long claws (think Freddy Krueger!) and yours has short claws, males also have longer tails with the cloaca near the tip, because when they're mating the male is on top and has to curl his tail round and under the female's. Females have shorter tails with the cloaca nearer the base, roughly in line with the rear edge of the carapace.

Just one thing, if you want to breed turts please don't breed RES! We are already overrun with them, rescue centres are overflowing with Sliders, because of their adult size and low value people often just dump them in rivers and ponds when they've had enough of them. If you seriously want to breed turts think about some of the smaller, rarer, and more desirable species.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The claws and the tail are the give away, short tail and short front claws means female. Males have a longer thicker tail, and long front claws.

I dont want be negative but
RES are a very common breed, and many are dumped a year, so unless you can personally care for all the offspring and intend to keep them yourself they are really not worth breeding, they can lay quite a few a year and are worth next to nothing to sell if you can even sell them all. If you are really convinced its such a good idea I would suggest looking at some dedicated turtle websites, like Austins Turtle page, Terrapin info etc.

Out of interest whats your set up, how big is her tank or pond, lighting, temps, flitration, basking area etc as it will all be important if you want to add another two turtles for breeding as one male/one female its just asking to for trouble. Im assumming you relise that she is only half her full adult size, so you would need a pretty big tank for two females and a male.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh theres no lump.Think shadow.
The tank is 54 gallon. the dimension is 4 by 3 by 1 feet.
Yeah i got a UV and a basking dock.
My filter is my dad's fish filter that he used last time.Fish filter can be used right? Not sure what's the name.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah its external. Actually i got only this one female turt. My friend has a male and he wants to give it to me. So maybe just thought of maybe breeding. By the way can tell me the dimension that i surpose to have? how many gallon?

·
Super Moderator
16,917 Posts
Ideally you want a minimum 40 litres per inch for the first turtle and 20 litres per inch for any additional ones. So if they were for example both 5" then that would 200 lites and then 100 for the second, so 300 litres which is just under 100 gallons. An outdoor pond/indoor winter one is the best solution. Remember a female can reach 12" +, and 2 produce a lot of waste.

If you do take on your friend's one, if its male he will pester yours if she's a she, so therefore not ideal. Also, he will need quarantining before they mix. Plus, of course, as already stated, there are far too many unwanted Sliders around, many sadly being dumped or left with rescue centres who cannot rehome them. If they need to live separately that means another tank, another filter, another basking dock/cork bark, plus lights etc. It can be come an expensive hobby!

Sorry to sound so boring, but just pointing out the pros and cons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh yeah i realise the problem to breeding RES. Anyway i have two of the same tank. The other is in my store room. My dad uses it last time. He wanted to throw it away but i dont let him. So any views or ideas on using 2 same tank?
As if i were to take my friend's turt, i think i'm gonna buy a new tank and try to sell my current one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts