Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
I wouldn't say it's cruel, sometimes it's the only way, but there may be better, less stressful methods of transferring fish from tank to tank.
Netting them does stress them out as you are removing them from water and the only thing on their mind is "****! I can't breathe!" But as I say, sometimes it's the only way.

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
try not to ever take a fish from one tank and plop it into another... they usually get shocked pretty good as the temps and chemistry is different from tank to tank...

use a bucket and acclimate the fish to the new water conditions...

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
try not to ever take a fish from one tank and plop it into another... they usually get shocked pretty good as the temps and chemistry is different from tank to tank...

use a bucket and acclimate the fish to the new water conditions...
That's a good point, I missed that out! ;)

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
That's a good point, I missed that out! ;)

yeah... but in most cases it's not a big deal... if the tanks are kept about the same and the fish aren't delicate... you don't want to risk say a flame angel by plopping it into a completely different tank...

i put them in a bucket with their own water and introduce the new tank's water into the bucket gradually... toss in some stress coat and net them into the new tank fter a while...

i'm just so used to buckets that i do everything that way... like it came from the store...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Agree with everything Habu has said . There are times when it's best not to use a net e.g certain catfish have sharp spines that can get caught in the netting or impale a human hand , ditto with loaches , also lionfish and tangs . When dealing with these I use an appropriately sized jam jar , glass jug etc .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts