Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe for me to build a background/sides for my viv - using cardboard, paper-mache and pva (waterbased glue)?????

Planning to build it as a whole 3D structure so that it can't collapse when the beardies clamber on it.

The pva should seal it all and I'm planning to paint/sand it for the natural look.

Please reply as I'm gonna start it this evening - & Don't want to spend the whole evening trashing the kitchen to find out tomorrow that It would kill my (yet to be purchased) beardies.

The kids have already picked out names - "Spike & Fugly" - don't laugh.. my 3yr old calls her 2 goldfish "Tit & Bum" !!!!!!!

Going to try and fit it in between building 2 x Darlek costumes for the brats for halloween. Hopefully will stop the little buggers from fighting over the one and only sink plunger in the house.
Why can't they want to be ghosts like normal kids????

Thanx

Janine.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
ermmm i think if you make sure you get the non toxic PVA like you would with the kids and i think sanding would be better than painting as it would look better :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
I made a hide n all sorts of climbing equipment for my rankins before i had her. I used cardboard, masking tape(to tape everything up) pva glue, toilet roll and newspaper. It wasnt hard enough i didnt think so i tried car fiberglass. then finished it off with acrylics. Was perfect, but the fiberglass is to toxic to use :(. Bit silly really but worth the try. Now i just keep it simple, peices of wood i find, or boxes, they dont look to bad in the viv and my rankins doesn't mind, after all she spends all night sleeping in a toilet roll tube and she loves it!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I made my corn snake a tree out of paper mache and stuff, had to cover it in grout though to make it stronger :lol: But yeah, works great :D Use Acrylic or bathroom/kitchen paint as this is more water resistant and you may want to add a coat or two of varnish to stop water or beardie poop getting into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts