Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was bathing my beardy last night and for the first time he dunked his head under the water, right over his eyes :eek:mg: and stayed like it for a good 20secs, all the time his tongue was going in and out. Now was he drinking or was he trying to top himself ???? :crazy: I ended up having to interupt him as i was getting nervous :?

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Drinking.

It's a bit unnerving the first time you see it, but reptiles have a completely different metabolic setup to us, and need far less oxygen. This means that they can hold their breaths for a long time. By all accounts an iguana can stay down underwater for a good half hour, and a fully grown komodo dragon uses less oxygen in a day than just our brain does...

Nothing to worry about, but definitely pretty scary the first time you see them do it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers.

It was pretty cool really at first, i was shouting to the girlfriend 'here look at this' but then after 10 secs or so was 'hmmm' :mrgreen:

He is shedding as well which is a first too (for me) as we got him at 10 months old in August. How often does an adult shed? is it just the once a year ?

He is running round with half his face hanging off :rotfl:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Cheers.

It was pretty cool really at first, i was shouting to the girlfriend 'here look at this' but then after 10 secs or so was 'hmmm' :mrgreen:

He is shedding as well which is a first too (for me) as we got him at 10 months old in August. How often does an adult shed? is it just the once a year ?

He is running round with half his face hanging off :rotfl:
I've two adults, and they sometimes they seem to be in permanent shed - when one end finishes the other begins! :lol2: Then then go a time without shedding! Not sure there is a regular pattern, or if there is I haven't noticed!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
ill have to try it my beardie just lays in her bowl and stays there for a few hours then gets out.

nice S14.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WooHoo we have petrolheads on here too :lol2:

You must be to spot its a S14 from that little pic and not say 'Nice Mondeo' :rotfl:

He is now running around with all his back hanging off its like a rain mac :lol:

He also seems to have finally taken notice of his Veg and is munching heavily on the lambs lettice and carrot :2thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts