Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please note any mistakes im making and tell me in the response section.

My Beardie is 3-4 years old, Every morning I give him 5-8 large crickets powdered with calcium and If I have the time some baby roman lettuce with peas (He loves them). I give him fresh water every 2-3 days but he doesnt seem to drink it ever. I give him a bath every week or two weeks for him to cool off and drink. Also I feed him (when I dont have crickets) super worms 5 on Monday and Thrusday.
If Im doing anything wrong please tell me lately ive been worried about his health and hes a bit skinny.
Additional Details:whip:

I have a all in one bulb for heat and UV and try to take him out everyday also I haven't seen any head bobbing at all.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Please note any mistakes im making and tell me in the response section.

My Beardie is 3-4 years old, Every morning I give him 5-8 large crickets powdered with calcium and If I have the time some baby roman lettuce with peas (He loves them). I give him fresh water every 2-3 days but he doesnt seem to drink it ever. I give him a bath every week or two weeks for him to cool off and drink. Also I feed him (when I dont have crickets) super worms 5 on Monday and Thrusday.
If Im doing anything wrong please tell me lately ive been worried about his health and hes a bit skinny.
Additional Details:whip:

I have a all in one bulb for heat and UV and try to take him out everyday also I haven't seen any head bobbing at all.

fresh fruit and veg should be offered everyday of all sorts there are dozens of fruit and veg they can eat so its good to mix it up a little.
I offer my Beardy live everyday too as much as he would eat in 10-15 minutes again they need a mixture, cricket/locust/meal worms/morio worms/Dubia roaches.
sprinkled every other day with a decent vitamine supplement.
fresh water should be given daily (although he might not drink it, it still needs to be offered just like fruit and veg any left over offer give to his food so he gets the goodness one way or another)
Bathing once a week at least especially if you know he is not drinking. luke warm water not to hot upto his shoulders for about ten minutes (supervised of course)
I remember somewhere on this forum about those heating+uvb were unrealible something about not enough heat or light (don't hold me too it though) maybe someone else know a little more about that equipment.
What kind of set has he got?
size of viv?
basking temperature should be around 115f
cool side " 75- 80f
warm end "90f

If you have the time? <he's your pet, surely you should make time! unless you meant it differently and if so then i apologize for jumping the gun.>

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm guessing you have not had your beardie 3-4 years. As off so out would probably be in a bit of a state.
Anyways, my current beardie is 3 almost, and he gets fed a box of 5th hoppers every 3rd day (so about 12). All dusted with Calcium+. And on the days in between, if he's good, he gets 3 or 4 morios. And everyday fresh veg. Not "if you have time". Has to be offered everyday. Yea, it may not be eaten. But you must give that option. And try and avoid lettuce. Peas are fine, but skip the lettuce. It's not good for them. And don't do spinach either.

The water thing is fine. They get the needed fluids from your cutloaded crickets and veg.
And a bath every couple of weeks is good. Just keep the temp warm and supervise for 15/20 mins and you be all good.

What size Viv is your beardie in?.

And get rid of the all-in-one.
Honestly better going for a Acadia UV tube 12% +D3 that covers about 3 quarters of your Viv size (so around 3ft). And then you have a basking bulb in your dedicated hot end of the Viv. You want it to be around 40c. Measure the temps with digital thermometers. NOT dial or strip. They are utter sh*te.
Oh, and your basking bulb is always better hooked up to a Dimming Thermostat. It's the only real back up safty we can have for our reps.

If I've missed anything out I apologies. It's 4.30am, and I'm usually more constructive. But, I can't be arsed :).

Oh and a picture is worth a thousand words as they say. So post one dude.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You

Alright your advice was priceless. I made a mistake, my dragon is almost 3 years old not 3-4 Please review my changes and please tell me if im STILL making mistakes.
I will change my bulb although it does get around 100-105 in his basking area and his cold spot is fine.
Im going to start feeding him 15 crickets a day in the morning Or 5-8 mealworms twice a week.
Im going to start giving him a little amount of lettuce and then LOTS of veggies and I will get it to him everyday
Im going to give him a bath once a week and make sure he drinks.

Thanks for your support I still dont quite understand how much I should feed him because I just feed him mealworms and crickets

·
Registered
524 Posts
Again, don't feed the lettuce. It's no good for them. Get spring greens, wild rocket etc all readily available at Tesco (other supermarkets available :p ).
And the all in one bulbs are not good enough. Your Dragon won't benefit unless it's sitting in front of it ALL day. Even then they are inadequate.
We have advised on what you need dude, if you follow is your choice. But like us all on here, we just want the best possible life for ours and your Dragon. And the advice given provides such.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Alright your advice was priceless. I made a mistake, my dragon is almost 3 years old not 3-4 Please review my changes and please tell me if im STILL making mistakes.
I will change my bulb although it does get around 100-105 in his basking area and his cold spot is fine.
Im going to start feeding him 15 crickets a day in the morning Or 5-8 mealworms twice a week.
Im going to start giving him a little amount of lettuce and then LOTS of veggies and I will get it to him everyday
Im going to give him a bath once a week and make sure he drinks.

Thanks for your support I still dont quite understand how much I should feed him because I just feed him mealworms and crickets
When it comes to feeding mine (same age as yours) as for the veg with the leafy greens i cut into 2cmsq pieces (five) of five different types of leaves same as fruit (size of gap between your beardies eyes) they only require a small bowl full (an adequate bowl size is about 4cmsq and pretty shallow) although i spread my beardies out into large dish or tip it on his floor <<<<<no lose substrate there.
as for live food, anywhere 5-10 crickets/5 large locusts/5-10 mealworms a day, he might not eat that much but i will offer it to him. if you think about the ratio you'll soon get the hang of it. I was so bad when i first got my beardy filling an actual dinner dish of fruit and veg every day i wasted so much.
what i do is prepack it all into daily small containers you can refridgerate, easier than cutting it up every day.
I place his food in the viv in the basking area about 4 in the morning (before i go to bed) i also spray it with water so it doesn't dry out and he wakes up to it at 8am when his lights come on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You Again!
My last question is: Are the exo terria bulbs that go across the cage good? I have a 55 gallon or 85 gallon I forgot... I use sand and should I change the sand? Like into wood chips? Also how often do Dragons poop?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
And try and avoid lettuce. Peas are fine, but skip the lettuce. It's not good for them. And don't do spinach either.

Lettuce is absolutely fine as part of a varied diet, as is spinach. OP there is a huge variety of vegetation out there for them to eat, personally I would go for (edible) herbs, weeds and flowers and then supplement with what you have in the kitchen.

Also vary the live food more; locusts, calci-worms, silk worms, butter worms, roaches, woodlice etc are all worth using.

The amount you feed is entirely up to your individual (and is affected by things like the setup and what you feed). You want him to maintain weight without becoming fat and lazy, really they only need food a few times a week (if that).

·
Registered
872 Posts
Again, don't feed the lettuce. It's no good for them. Get spring greens, wild rocket etc all readily available at Tesco (other supermarkets available :p ).
And the all in one bulbs are not good enough. Your Dragon won't benefit unless it's sitting in front of it ALL day. Even then they are inadequate.
We have advised on what you need dude, if you follow is your choice. But like us all on here, we just want the best possible life for ours and your Dragon. And the advice given provides such.

I'm under the impression that it's iceberg they can't eat

Also I've never bathed or given my beardie a waterbowl he gets enough moisture from his food

1 - 9 of 9 Posts