Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a third year university student and have just finished my course. My male crested gecko, who is 2 years old, lives with me at university for most of the year but comes back to my parents' place for the holidays. Rather than shuffling his viv around, I splashed out and bought him a larger vivarium (45x45x60 Exo Terra I think, but it might be the 60x45x90 one - I can't remember xD) with lots of fun hidey places, a basking spot, a fogger etc for when we're staying at my parents'. I eventually intend to transfer him to this tank permanently when I move back home. His viv at university is only a little 30x30x45 Exo Terra one.

Problematically, he seems to prefer his little one. He's had the big one since January and has spent approx 2 and a half months in it, but he never seems very active. When I moved him back to his little tank a few weeks ago, he was immediately and noticeably far more active.

Is this just a case of him not having had enough time to settle into his larger viv, or do you think he would genuinely be happier to stay in the smaller one? Should I give the larger one a chance for a few more months and move him back to the little one if he seems inactive, or is the inactivity nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Maybe he seems more active in the smaller one because there isn't much space for him so it just seems he's more active? :p
This is what I was going to suggest, the extra activity could be stress related because he feels a bit cramped.

·
Registered
677 Posts
For the first time today , I saw how big a 45x45x60 tank is and compared to 30x30x45 and honestly in my opinion , I don't see how an adult crestie can be ' happy ' in a 30x30x45 , unless you sit there watching him all night how are you certain that his activity levels are reduced , also if the crestie is used to spending most of his time in the smaller vivarium and that is what he used to , the sudden movement into the larger viv with different surroundings might be a factor also your uni room might be slightly warmer or cooler than your crestie is used to hmmmm .. I think you should leave him in the larger vivarium , as say once he is used to everything his quality of life will be better , not that it wasn't just size wise : victory:

Reactions: Geckonoob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks folks! Hopefully he'll settle into his bigger vivarium soon. He's only a little guy and still quite young - the 30x30x45 tank was big enough for him when I first got him, but the bigger one is definitely a better size now. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.