Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i ran out of food i asked my mum to pick some up for me since i was busy working anyways... she braught a really big tub of cheap flake food from wilco for about £1 i was a bit... lik... hmmm... about it as i dnt like cheapy...

anyways i thaught i would give it a try...

anyways in my tank i have ghost shrimp... and gradualy... 1 by 1... they started to dissapear.. i put in about 30... now i dnt see any at atll...

i looked at the back of my cheap flake food tub one day and saw it said it had copper in it... now as i heard... copper is a poison for shrimp...

so is this cheap food gona be bad for my fish and do you think its the reason all my shrimp are gone?

my fish are way too small to eat them and my water is just fine as my fish are perfect and happy and none have died since i braught them months ago..

i might get rid of the food if it has copper in it as i want to keep shrimp from red cherrys to ghost and more

anyways any help most appreciated thanks :)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Cheap food is absolutely rubbish and no good for anything.Your fish need good nourishment so dump that and get some good quality food.What fish apart from the shrimp have you got?what size tank and what else do you feed apart from flakes?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The cheap flake is quite nutritionous for fish accept a death trap for shrimp.

Ive used that flake a few times when my local has been out of flake or only had large tubs for rediculous prices and it works great... But i also feed them a mix of flake and other things so not just flake : victory:.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks for the replys :) i got 200L tank heavy planted with constant stream effect water (2 power heads either end) and i got a ton of tetras in a huge school 6 clown loach 4 corys and 4 bristlenost

i feed my fish always a mixture of food not just 1 type... i got frozen bloodworm my clowns love em so do corys and bristle

i also have dried daphina but when i put into the water it dosent sink just floats and the top of my water is not still at all its like waves sort of so i dnno if they eat it or not its hard to see lol.. am i doing something wrong? dnno how to feed em it :(

and also flake food

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Yep, any amount of copper will quickly kill your shrimp.
Not entirely true. A minute amount of dietry copper is actually essential for freshwater shrimp, it works like iron does for our blood. That said, the amount at which it becomes deadly is equally quite tiny.

I would take a plunge, and say it's more likely the cheap food cause an ammonia spike, and this killed the shrimp. Worked in an LFS once and we had a batch of cheapo flakes in. We binned the lot as we started getting complaints so opened a tub. It HONKED of ammonia as the cheap protein sources in it had somehow produced ammonia.

Bin it, get some decent.

One note though, when you say clowns, you don't mean clown loaches do you? Just asking, as these will happily eat shrimp, not just snails.

Ade

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.