Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this the other week, but can't seem to find the thread now, but the general consensus was, I believe, that Munchkin is indeed a boy, not a girl. But I just spoke to the guy that I got them from and he was very surprised to hear that one was male and when I showed him a picture said that he didn't think Munchkin was male.

I thought the picture indicated male. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
896 Posts
its a male

·
Registered
230 Posts
that is defo male

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
looks male hun... although my adult female tremper has pores like that and laid eggs last year lol x

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I'm saying female because i incubated at lower than usual temps as i didnt want any males last year........baring in mind these were hatched around August so little too young i think but i could be wrong.

I'm offering the op all the help i can give as non of the other babies i had last year were male......and at the time i sold them to the op they showed no signs of male parts and i did check them right before i confirmed the sale aswell just incase anyone was wondering.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
keep it seperate, wait for it to mature, and see if it lays, answering your question for you.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Oh by the way your banner made me wet myself!
i pinched it off another forumite, and i can't stop watching it, it makes me so excited every time it's little eyes light up, i could watch it go round and round for hours, lol.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
I'm offering the op all the help i can give as non of the other babies i had last year were male......i cant see how it would be i incubated specifically for female :s
okay my tuppence worth ;)
I'm sorry but there is no guarentee whatsoever that every egg incubated at female/low temps will definately be a female ~ heck I incubate 'specifically' for female and I still get the odd male or two ....... Tangee, Solo, Tyke are good examples as are the four males I sold last season : victory:
And even the size (or lack of) the hemipenes is not a definate marker of sex ...... Tangee in particular has no visible hemipene dividing ridge (Ripple has a bigger bulge that end lol) and his typical 'blackhead' pores are minimal.......... but he's been doing the biz with Ripple like a good one :lol2:

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
Definately looks male to me - there is a bulge and pores. I have a tremper female who has pores but they are not that defined.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Inc temp is no cert, just a majority. But I doubt it really matters to the op, the breeders sold to the best of their knowledge and are doing their best now, even if it is male

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Inc temp is no cert, just a majority. But I doubt it really matters to the op, the breeders sold to the best of their knowledge and are doing their best now, even if it is male
I think the reason why it does matter to the OP is that she was sold two leos as females; if this one turns out to be male, then there's a chance that her very young female (which has been housed with this gecko on the basis that they were the same sex) is gravid.

I must say, it looks male to me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First of all, I would like to say that I don't place any blame on Matt. I think what happened here was a simple and honest mistake. He really did show no signs of being male, I didn't know that it couldn't be definite, and I don't believe that Matt/Ace Reptiles purposefully sold me a female knowing that it may not be female. Also, Matt has been very helpful, which I really appreciate.

Kirsten simply waiting to see if she lays isn't really something I see as an option as if she does lay eggs, I need to have equipment ready. So I'm getting that together now, even if she turns out not to be gravid, I'll at least have things ready for if I breed next year, which I am considering. But it is now the waiting game to find out if she lays or not.

Marc, I've PMed you. But as I said to Kirsten, simply waiting without preparing at all isn't really an option as I'm not prepared to just get rid of the eggs, I love geckos far too much for that!

As Olivine said, the reason why it does in fact matter is that I could be faced with a way under age gravid female. So yeah, it does matter a lot. But here's hoping that it's just fat deposits and that she's just not hungry due to the cold climate lately. If it's not then I'm going to be prepared for eggs just in case and will be doing all I can to make sure that she gets calcium and everything she needs so it does as minimal damage as possible.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts