Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've had Wotsit the leo for nearly 2 months now and she seems to be doing well. I've been feeding her crickets and mealworms without any problems.
However, I'm not sure if I'm overfeeding. I used to feed about 8-9 items every day and they all get eaten pretty much straight away and still seems to want more. She is looking a little fat at these days. Her tail is thicker than her neck and when she lies with her belly on the floor, it seems to me that she bulges out a bit at the sides. The leo is 4 months old now.

I've been looking at various caresheets but not many suggest quantities of food to be fed. Should I cut down the feeding or is this all part of growing up?

Many thanks

·
Registered
719 Posts
if its any consaltion my girls are really god what do yuo think

Saide 6 months and 7 days 61.0g's
Molly 5 months and 3 weeks 55.0g's
Samantha 5 months and 6 days 49.8g's

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
When its still little I'd feed wotsit as much as it can eat but I'd lay off the mealies until he's a little bigger. They have a hard exoskeleton and they are harder to digest. Still the odd one or two if he like them ain't going to do any harm... If you like feeding varied stuff try the odd waxie, roach, silkie or hopper, but make sure you are dusting with calcium.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Readeano

Those are pretty good weights for the ages, are they tremper strain?

If not, watch how they go, females who are too overweight often have problems passing eggs.

I dont hold with 'beefing' up young geckos, you would never find a fat one in the wild.

Not having a go or anything, just remember that a fat gecko is not always a healthy one !

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I am dusting with Nutrabal and also calcium too so diet should be ok.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Your leo sounds healthy, but on the forum index theres a thread called links, this should have a half decent site where you should beable to find out more, hope this helps. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts