Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, bought this fish today and just brought her home, seeing her with the others she has a massive belly. Is she pregnant by the looks of it? If so what should I do from here? I know they give birth to live young but would like some advice on what to do with some mini fish if she gives birth. Sorry for the terrible photos she never sits still!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hard to tell from photos, Could be, but also could be bloated. Or could even be a balloon Platy lol. If you look between the anal fin and the belly can you see black dots that appear to be in her belly?? If so then yes she is pregnant. The black dots are the frys eyes. As for looking after the fry, Platies are great at eating their babies. As will most other fish in the tank, You can use a breeding box which will keep the mum alone and then when she has finished 'popping' you can take her out and leave the babies on their own. Feed them flake but really crush it up. Or baby Aritemia (Brine Shrimp) Hope this helps and I haven't confused matters more? Lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.