Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if its time i should be taking my corn snake out of her little tub and putting in her viv yet. I have bout all the things needed like a hide, water ball, logs, bedding ect. The snake is 17 inchs long. The viv is 35 inch long, 18 inch wide and 24 inch tall (If I was informed right then the hight isn't a problem).

She has been eating well and shed a few days ago.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
35inches is that about 3 foot. If so i think that would be a bit big for your snake the now but im no expert :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
how old is the snake, and how big is the tub,

personally, i kept my corns in tubs till 18 inch long, then i moved into a larger tub till around 24 inches, after this they went into a 24 inch viv, i have only just recently moved then into a 36inch viv, as they are now 2 years old and are approx 48 inch long,

Hope this helps

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not sure on her age, I had her bought for me by my perants. The tub is 9 inch by 4.5 inch. My mother said that the guy in the shop said give it 4 weeks before moving her into the viv, that was about 5 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
it would be best to buy a larger tub(about 24 inches) first, and place inside bigger viv, and when your snake gets to about 4ft then it will be ready to go into the bigger viv.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
tigger79 said:
how old is the snake, and how big is the tub,

personally, i kept my corns in tubs till 18 inch long, then i moved into a larger tub till around 24 inches, after this they went into a 24 inch viv, i have only just recently moved then into a 36inch viv, as they are now 2 years old and are approx 48 inch long,

Hope this helps
thats what i was told to do.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this because it stresses them out being in a large area or could it kill them?

·
Registered
318 Posts
tigger79 said:
it would be best to buy a larger tub(about 24 inches) first, and place inside bigger viv, and when your snake gets to about 4ft then it will be ready to go into the bigger viv.
That is what i was also told to do aswell

I have a theory (forgive me if its stupid or completely wrong), but i feel that it doesnt matter how big the viv is (within reason) compared to the snake, just as long as there are enough places where he can exercise and hide to keep him stress free, also i thought that if a corn is trying to escape it must want to explore whats on the otherside of the viv, or when the snake is being handled surely that means the snake doesnt mind open space.

As i said sorry if i have offended or annoyed anyone :(

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My snake is always tryin to explore out of her tub, when I have handled her and put her back in the tub she trys getting out into the big viv all the time. Thats why I wanted to know if it would be ok.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
mine start off in small cadbury tubs then onto snall geo flats, medium geo flats, large geo flats, then into vivs i know where you got yours i'm sure there sell small geo flats i would get oneo f them

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im going into the shop next week as I want some spare bulbs; just in case. i will look at some slightly bigger tubs and buy her one. As I've said before, she is my first snake and I want to do everything right.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Most of my small snakes have gone straight into their big vivs as soon as I got them and I've had no problems with stress caused by having to much space, as long as they have plenty of places to hide (i have 4/5 hides in each viv) and I have plenty of logs & fake plants to give them cover and they are all shedding and eating perfectly, never struck at me and seem to love exploring their big vivs and then going back to their favorite hides for a nap!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
3 foot is bout 1 metre...if u wanna put a snake in a viv that seems too big then fill the viv up with loads of places to hide otherwise it will be stressed an then die

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mate all this lark about snake being too small for their vivs is rubbish... Snakes in the wild live in the open, right? And thats a whole of a lot larger than than your viv, the larger viv. doesn't inlist stress... I put my hatchlings into the large vivs. if i want to keep them and i have no problems.

·
Registered
213 Posts
andysharpe said:
Mate all this lark about snake being too small for their vivs is rubbish... Snakes in the wild live in the open, right? And thats a whole of a lot larger than than your viv, the larger viv. doesn't inlist stress... I put my hatchlings into the large vivs. if i want to keep them and i have no problems.
Agreed, providing there is plenty of hiding space.

·
Registered
541 Posts
my corns have gone in to a 24" viv from young and are happy and healthy chaps.I think the thing to do is fill it so it dosnt look like a big open box.

My corns have 3 hides and lots of vines and branches to climb and hide away in (see below)

·
Registered
324 Posts
optical illusion said:
andysharpe said:
Agreed, providing there is plenty of hiding space.
Also agreed there mate. I use aspen also with a fair few hides for my younger snakes and so they have tons of hiding places as many lvoe to burrow under the aspen.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
andysharpe said:

i will agree actually my corn used 2 be sectioned off in a basic pet carrier, but broke into the bigger section so we opened it all up for him, an he was fine, although my hoggie don like bein out so we added some more stuff an he moves about a bit more

·
Registered
324 Posts
serpentkid100 said:
andysharpe said:

i will agree actually my corn used 2 be sectioned off in a basic pet carrier, but broke into the bigger section so we opened it all up for him, an he was fine, although my hoggie don like bein out so we added some more stuff an he moves about a bit more
Yeah each snake is different mate... One of my female royals is always hiding and shes a 7 year old! But most of my royals love to lounge out you know... My hoggies are very active mate! They hate being out back after handling and they're both a handful when they are being out back! So we reduced the hides as they don't use any, now we have 4 hides just for the both of them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts