Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I've fed my Royal she's still very active around her vivarium. she still comes to the top as if she wants to come out like every other day.......lol....

Are we feeding her enough or should we maybe give her another mouse?? She's 3-4 yrs old and a metre long, we feed her one mouse,(the biggest we can get...) every 5-7 days.

Also is Beechwood OK to use for substrate? We have been using Jungle Bark at the mo, but I have a bag of large chip beechwood too.

Thanks for any advise that you can give us.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
At a year old and 3-4 ft I would expect it to be on something like small/medium rats every 7 odd days :)

Rule of thumb: Prey item should be no wider than the widest part of the snake :)
Even a 'mosnter mouse' is only about the size of a weiner rat.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
You could do with getting her on rats really, they are much better for them. the rat should be about the width if the thickest part of the snake.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
my corn has been known to take some smaller rats, you should try something bigger:2thumb:

·
Registered
259 Posts
My royal is about 18 month old and he is on one weaner rat per week. I use orchid bark which I put in the microwave for a couple of mins to make sure there is no nasties lurking in there. I have heard of people using beech chip, I think you should heat treat it too. Just make sure you feed your royal outside the viv or in a tub as it may swallow the chip.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks for your replies, I'll try at the pet shop, but I don't know if they sell rats there, or anywhere near me..... Also as we feed live I am worried about feeding a big rat to her............Problems with living on an island........
Could I not just give her two mice?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks for your replies, I'll try at the pet shop, but I don't know if they sell rats there, or anywhere near me..... Also as we feed live I am worried about feeding a big rat to her............Problems with living on an island........
Could I not just give her two mice?
just be careful as the rat can do quite a bit of damage to the snake

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Does it only take live or have you tried pre-killed?? Could kill a rat or two large mice and then give it to it!! Just thinking about the snake; i wouldn't want it to get injured!!:2thumb:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Does it only take live or have you tried pre-killed?? Could kill a rat or two large mice and then give it to it!! Just thinking about the snake; i wouldn't want it to get injured!!:2thumb:
if it is fussy after you have killed it slit the stomach open and let it hang out they will soon come once they get the smell for it

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Some royals can be a right pain to get switched onto rats. Especially when they are older and have been taking mice for quite a while. And eventually a royal WILL be eating rats so it's always best to try and get them on them as soon as.

My male is only 16 months or something and takes the heaviest small rats I can get.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
if it is fussy after you have killed it slit the stomach open and let it hang out they will soon come once they get the smell for it
Thats an interesting way to tempt a fussy eater, do you try and just pierce the skin and keep the stomach and contents intact or split the lot?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the advise I'll def. try and get a rat for next weeks dinner, I'll let my husband kill it though, I'm no good at that stuff....lol....

·
Registered
279 Posts
i slit the skin open and let the guts hang out , make sure its in a tank with jsut paper on the ground as aspen will get stuck to it

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I just crack the skull with my fingers then rip the skin to expose the brain, seems to work!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts