Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Type New World Arboreal
Diet Spiderlings: Pinhead Crickets and Flightless Fruit Flies
Larger Specimens: Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms, Flies, Moths or a Pinky Mouse or Anole Lizard thrown in for variety.
Full Grown Size 4 to 5 inches
Growth Medium
Temperature 75 to 85?F
Humidity Medium 75 to 80%
Temperament Docile but skittish
Housing Height is more important than floor space.
Substrate Potting Soil/Peat Moss, Vermiculite, Bed-A-Beast, Jungle Mix
Experience Level 5

I'm trying to research the Avicularia purpurea and am struggling to find much info. Is this accurate enough to go by, obviously i wont be feeding it lizards!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
pretty much
sounds ok...
but if you decide to chuck in a helpless cute anole, i will have to come and shout lots at you:p Theyr way too cute!

Best simply speaking to Becky or Elaine about Avics tho, they both have lots

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It looks to be accurate enough.

With purpurea's though I have found that they dont like things as wet as other Avics. Mine is kept dry with just a light misting twice a week and slight dampening of the substrate once a week.

They are gorgeous and one of the best webbers :)

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Super dooper...thanks guys.
I could never chuck a live lizard/mouse in anywhere! Dont have the heart:blush:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
good to hear:D anoles are amazing animals, defiantely recommend them ALIVE as pets, lol
blooming americans think they own everything:(

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
: victory:Not really an anole fan as i'd always worry i'd squished it...but wouldnt get anythin to scoff em

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
: victory:Not really an anole fan as i'd always worry i'd squished it...but wouldnt get anythin to scoff em
:bash: how cant you be an anole fan:p lol
i only have one now unfortunately but he lives in my room:D
has done for a good 16months now and hes fat, and looking really good:)
i cant get enough of them, lol theyr so cute!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Theyre far too small. Gimme a bosc any day:bash:

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I dont get the whole vertebrate live food thing; time and time again, experience has shown that feeding vertebrates "for variety" causes more trouble than good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Super dooper...thanks guys.
I could never chuck a live lizard/mouse in anywhere! Dont have the heart:blush:
hey, dont rule out mice as food for T's. all my T's that are big enough get a pinky once every couple of months, i get frozen ones, defrost em and use forceps to drag em round the substrate until the T strikes. lots of high nutritianal value and the spiders love em

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i dunno i was told pinkies are uneccessary but do they eat them naturally coz if so whats the harm...do they eat them naturally??: victory:

·
Registered
70 Posts
naturally in the wild, a T eats anything it can over power, it could be insects, bugs or small mammals

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
naturally in the wild, a T eats anything it can over power, it could be insects, bugs or small mammals
In that case i dont have an issue with it. If it eats them naturally i know it wont do any harm but i wouldnt feed regularly.:2thumb:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
id be hard pushed to find any confirmed info.
I beleive inverts fill approx 95% of a Ts diet. youl find that verts do not make up a valid portion of their natural diet...

Ts generally like to eat things they can overpower by loads.

i only tend to feed gravid females pinkies or vert.
generally i dont bother

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fair enuff to be honest i'm prob not gonna bother buying pinkies in for a once in a blue moon feed!

·
Registered
70 Posts
at the end of the day, it all boils down to personal preference, i like to give mine a treat every now and then, some people stick to just crickets and locusts which is brilliant, i just like to offer a bit of variation

1 - 16 of 16 Posts