Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my male beardie seemed to of vanished out of his viv, then i heard a scarping noise, i give them quite deep sand but the male had dug under the big water bowl and buried himself, his little hideout and caved in, is this normal? ive watered him down as he seemed to have sand in every hole in his face, could he suffocate or do they like burrying them selves?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
its always safest to only give them the ability to burrow if the substrate wont collapse.
and heavy items whould be on the viv floor directly, not on the substrate just incase an accident happens.
However if he buried himself, he would prolly be fine.

·
Banned
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh rite, he didnt look ok to me lol, looked like he was gasping for breath

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
maybe keep the substrate to an inch or so then he might have brrowed under the bowl, unable to get out you know...not being aware of his positon.
he should be fine burying himself in the sand but not so he can get under anything and get trapped.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
what age is he?? sounds like hes getting ready to brumate..ive seen my male bury himself(but not completly) around this time of year. maybe take out some sand so he cant completly bury himself

·
Registered
920 Posts
Reptile version of hibernation

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Nothing.
Just keep things as you are, reduce hours of light and heat for the winter etc

she may stop eating and sleep a lot.. or she may not, they varie on how far they go with this.
Keep fresh veg available and dont worry if she refuses food and sleeps for a couple days on end.

Is she acting normal for the most part?

·
Banned
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah hes acting pretty normal, just digging alot, he didnt leave his hole last night. i left him in there, but buried his bowl so he cantget underneath it. just looked over and hes only just got out of his hole and under the light

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
I think i should give my beardie more sand. He keeps all... So most of the viv shows alot of the normal floor Lol.

Lil bugger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts