Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the temps all set up correctly, its a glass faunarium thingy. its in the corner of the room but my little snakey constantly pushes his face against the glass as iff he is trying to break out. he does this with considerable force for his size. im not worried about him getting out but i am worried about him rubbing his nose too much. cant this cause damage leading to mouth rot?

if i was to put backing paper on at least 2 of the sides would this help reduce it?

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
How big is the snake and how big is the cage? It sounds like he is stressed if he hasn't got any already he will need some hides and the terrarium will need to be covered with a sheet or towel for a couple of weeks to help him relax. Yes this can eventialy cause mouth rot but only if the 'nose rub' goes untreated usualy. If his nose starts to look too sore you will need to keep it sterilised to stop any infection setting in and spreading.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he has 3 hides, a branch and a rock. its about a foot wide, which is the same length as him. do you think it could be from the vibrations from my computer in the same room?

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
he has 3 hides, a branch and a rock. its about a foot wide, which is the same length as him. do you think it could be from the vibrations from my computer in the same room?
The viv may be a tad big for him, it may not sound like a massive amount but most people keep corns in vivs that are half the size of the snake as they seem to do much better than in bigger vivs, when they are older bigger vivs do not effect them as much. I would try covering the whole viv with a towl for a couple of weeks and see if it improves and if it doesn't maybe housing him in something smaller may be needed for a while. It is important to keep an eye on his nose though and if you see it getting sore it is not as serious as needing a vet trip but it will need some cleaning with a 10%iodine and 90% water solution, I usualy use a stronger solution but it is not advised on such a small snake.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers for the advice mate. its a top opening thing, will airflow be restricted majorly if i put a towel over it? or should i put an extra frame round it and cover that so air can still circulate. also is there a particular type of iodine to use?

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
cheers for the advice mate. its a top opening thing, will airflow be restricted majorly if i put a towel over it? or should i put an extra frame round it and cover that so air can still circulate. also is there a particular type of iodine to use?
The air floe will be fine as long as you leave a gap by the vents. You can use either iodine or tamodine that you can buy in a chemist or there is a reptiles wound aid you can buy but it is quite expensive but already watered down correctly, its always handy to have some to hand when keeping reps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts