Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it normal for a king snake to go off it's food?my king hasn't eaten his last 2 meals i thought it was because he was going to shed but it's not anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Male?

How old?

For kings etc, it is currently the time of year males go hunting for love.

Mason

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i havn't had it that long maybe month and half and its 9 months old now since i moved him off pinkies on to fuzzies he had 2 fuzzies then since that time (last monday) he hasn't had anythink

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
it's winter. is it exposed at all to any daylight? say a window in the room?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah quite abit of it its in the middle of my room so yeah daylight is shinning on it is that ok?or is that why he aint eatin?

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
they take their ques from the photoperiods (amount of daylight) after the first day of summer the days begin to shorten as they do animals pick up on this and prepare for winter...at least temperate animals. they think it's winter but it's still warm so they don't hibernate but...a part of them still goes into that mode...some completely stop eating, others slow down. they are kinda torn...nothing harmful. if you get it away from any exposure to daylight and put artificial lights on them with a timer to simulate peak summer hours...they tend to stay active and have a normal appetite. it's all natural...grey squirrels begin hiding nuts, bears put on the fat, deer get ready for the rut and many birds start looking southward.

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
Weigh him, then you know if he's losing weight or not.
Losing weight = worry
Not losing weight = don't worry!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts