Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could i keep 1 bala shark with a school of serpae tetras in 75 gallon. I know bala sharks need to be kept in schools but i dont have enough room for 3.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,093 Posts
They take a fair bit of time to grow to adult size, i would personnally get a school of no less than 4, they don't seem to thrive when kept singularly when young.

·
Registered
835 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 5ft tank for a school of Bala Shark as a minimum, as they are a very active as well as being very large. When you see a large Bala Shark in the flesh its surprising how 'big' they actually are! If you haven't the room for 3 then they're probably best left alone all together.

I also wouldn't recommend keeping them with the Serpaes, as Balas are very active and enjoy a bit of a current in the water, where as Serpaes are black water species which would rather a slow moving, heavily planted set up.

Is it the bala shark in particular that you like or are you looking for large 'centrepiece' fish for the aquarium?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I kept 1 bala shark from a baby to around 7" after a few years he was fine
How long is a 'few' years? These fish can live up to 10, and just because a fish is alive doesn't mean its necessarily happy - the last neons of shoals in friends' tanks before have lasted many years alone but it still isn't advisable buying just the one to start with!

·
Registered
372 Posts
How long is a 'few' years? These fish can live up to 10, and just because a fish is alive doesn't mean its necessarily happy - the last neons of shoals in friends' tanks before have lasted many years alone but it still isn't advisable buying just the one to start with!
no it dosent he was very happy for you're information and i had him for 6 years the person who has him now is doing just fine and hes still swimming around the tank happy as larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.