Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I wanted to update my topic as the other one has like 5 pages! :shock:

Ok, I wish to breed my Corn snake but not for quite awhile, probably about 7 months time or longer.

I have some questions again (And many more :) ) about what to breed my female corn with.

She has a lot of yellow and a lot of red very bright also, so I was thinking that maybe she could be bred with something that has a lot of yellow (Butter corn) Or something that has a lot of red (Bloodred).

I believe that if my corn has more red then anything else then I’m likely to get hatchlings with nice colorations of red, if I bred her with a bloodred.
Or the same thing with a butter if she has more yellow.

OR I breed her with another normal and try and breed quality normals?

I’m here to learn! So if anyone has any suggestions on what they think can look nice please say!

I might be totally wrong by the way with the bloodred thing... and the butter thing... but if they made a bloodred from selectively breeding... then why wouldn’t it make a brighter bloodred. I know if you breed a bloodred to a bloodred then you won’t get good bloodreds, they become darker or something like that… :?

Thanks Matt. :D

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
have you got a pic? that would make things easier.
what does the underside of the corn snake look like?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes pics of the snake would help greatly. if the pic is of the snake you showed us in the first post then what you have is a normal and to bo honest not much breeding propects would there be in breeding it with a butter or a blood red... mind you with a blood red it could be fasinating to see as i have never had anly dealings with bloodreds but with butter i got nothing from 3 breeding seasons and 4 clutches from a butter corn and a sunglow... i would recomend you a get a corn het for snow or better yet try and get any type of snow, or amel. Or you could try with butter but its not too recomended... i would be highly interested in what results you got from breeding butters nige?? Because they are beutiful snakes but fruitless for me...

another possibility for you snake sould be also an anery if you want the darker colours but the thing with that is you would get a high ratio of normal corns in your clutch and the money doesnt lie there my friend. So in sum, if i had your snake, i would get a snow to breed it with or even a blizzard, which would be good but liable to produce a lot of normals. You could also try with a stripe corn, to produce some stripe hatchlings, they are cool looking snakes and have a good market value. Anyway mate good luck with whichever breeding project you choose.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
butters to bloodred gives you het for sulfer... theres not many of them about.
basically you get dark yellow butters with a clear under belly

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cornmorphs said:
have you got a pic? that would make things easier.
what does the underside of the corn snake look like?
Yea i have loads of pics, the picture in my signiture of the corn snake is in fact her my flake :)

Here is another but of the underside, she has a really white underside but the lower you go the more markins you get, as she is still young.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
andysharpe said:
Yes pics of the snake would help greatly. if the pic is of the snake you showed us in the first post then what you have is a normal and to bo honest not much breeding propects would there be in breeding it with a butter or a blood red... mind you with a blood red it could be fasinating to see as i have never had anly dealings with bloodreds but with butter i got nothing from 3 breeding seasons and 4 clutches from a butter corn and a sunglow... i would recomend you a get a corn het for snow or better yet try and get any type of snow, or amel. Or you could try with butter but its not too recomended... i would be highly interested in what results you got from breeding butters nige?? Because they are beutiful snakes but fruitless for me...

another possibility for you snake sould be also an anery if you want the darker colours but the thing with that is you would get a high ratio of normal corns in your clutch and the money doesnt lie there my friend. So in sum, if i had your snake, i would get a snow to breed it with or even a blizzard, which would be good but liable to produce a lot of normals. You could also try with a stripe corn, to produce some stripe hatchlings, they are cool looking snakes and have a good market value. Anyway mate good luck with whichever breeding project you choose.

Well I could go that way... and breed with a snow or amel but I would just get a load of odd snake’s witch everyone has.

I would go that way if it is to tricky to go any other way but I’m sure I can get something from my corn better then albino's and ghosts.

I think a bloored sounds interesting, maybe you might be able to see in the pic if she has potential for making nice bloodreds :) I'm unsure weather there is a market for bloodreds in England though.

I'm not after something that can make the most money by the way... just wanting to make something different :D its fun to learn what makes what.

An anery looks pretty good... it would be nice to get a striped anery and breed that with her but as my corn has so many bright colours it would spoil it no?

So maybe a striped corn or a bloodred, I love the look of the blizzard corn though they look so different! :D

Thanks for all help!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cornmorphs said:
butters to bloodred gives you het for sulfer... theres not many of them about.
basically you get dark yellow butters with a clear under belly
Wow I looked up one of those there aren’t many pictures on the net a?
They seem rarer then lavenders.

·
Registered
324 Posts
my first breeding project was a male normal het stripe and an amel stripe... got terrific results mate! er... well you could defo go for bloodred, as you're snake has relatively low black a bloodred would be good. And yes there is a market for bloodreds. you rarely ever see one here in ROI and i've been to loads of reptile shops about the country and the dealers told me they're hard to get hold of in this country. so if you could get one and succesfully breed good hatchlings...! cha-ching!

as for your corn and an anery, wouldn't recomend it. normal's and anery's are a grey spot for me, but i think it would produce anything interesting unless either is het for something. You could try a butter but a blood red would be better. And before you do attempt to breed (and its relativly easy and quite fun to see the results) do read up mate.

·
Registered
324 Posts
oh and breeding your snake with a stripe would be good as people tend to jump for stripped hatchlings. and if you're snake IS in fact a okeetee, then mate you'll get very nice snakes indeed with a striped! then you could get a amel corn too to produce amel striped as they are class too.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
well its def not a blood, and probably not a hypo either...
to be honest whatever you breed to that snake you are only likely to get normals, and as a bonus amybe amels, snows or anerys.
as for lavs?, yeah sulfer are miles rarer.
theres only afew people that have done them... at the end of the day though, being realsitic, you're not likely to produce something that hasnt been produced before,as andy says (i think was him) get hets.. that way you will get something different.
i'm not looking for a sale here, this is just an example..
i bred an amel motley to a hypo lavender.
if you breed the babies back, you really dont know what you will get BUT, you could get opal motleys, hypo lavender motleys, lavender motleys, amel motleys, normals, normals motleys, hypos etc... this sort of thing is great to start with as you really have no idea, but at the same time you're likely to produce something quite rare out of that lot.. thats why i am keeping most of them :lol:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
andysharpe said:
my first breeding project was a male normal het stripe and an amel stripe... got terrific results mate! er... well you could defo go for bloodred, as you're snake has relatively low black a bloodred would be good. And yes there is a market for bloodreds. you rarely ever see one here in ROI and i've been to loads of reptile shops about the country and the dealers told me they're hard to get hold of in this country. so if you could get one and succesfully breed good hatchlings...! cha-ching!

as for your corn and an anery, wouldn't recomend it. normal's and anery's are a grey spot for me, but i think it would produce anything interesting unless either is het for something. You could try a butter but a blood red would be better. And before you do attempt to breed (and its relativly easy and quite fun to see the results) do read up mate.

Ah i already sent a reply but it dont show here? eh?

So it would be good to breed her with blood red... do you think the chances of geting good results are high or not worth it?

I see what you meen about the anery, i dont think i would do that as my corn has a lot of bright colours on her so it would be kinda wasting them to breed her with a anery.

Yea i will certainly read up! this is me just trying to deside what snake i should breed her with!

It's cool to learn about every detail :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
andysharpe said:
oh and breeding your snake with a stripe would be good as people tend to jump for stripped hatchlings. and if you're snake IS in fact a okeetee, then mate you'll get very nice snakes indeed with a striped! then you could get a amel corn too to produce amel striped as they are class too.
Would i get striped corns straight from the first breeding or would they all be hets for strip corn?

It would be nice if they were striped straight away, and they would look real good too.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cornmorphs said:
well its def not a blood, and probably not a hypo either...
to be honest whatever you breed to that snake you are only likely to get normals, and as a bonus amybe amels, snows or anerys.
as for lavs?, yeah sulfer are miles rarer.
theres only afew people that have done them... at the end of the day though, being realsitic, you're not likely to produce something that hasnt been produced before,as andy says (i think was him) get hets.. that way you will get something different.
i'm not looking for a sale here, this is just an example..
i bred an amel motley to a hypo lavender.
if you breed the babies back, you really dont know what you will get BUT, you could get opal motleys, hypo lavender motleys, lavender motleys, amel motleys, normals, normals motleys, hypos etc... this sort of thing is great to start with as you really have no idea, but at the same time you're likely to produce something quite rare out of that lot.. thats why i am keeping most of them :lol:
I see... but if a bloodred is rarer then the average corn in England then that means there hasn’t been much breeding in to them? So there could be something hidden in the bloodreds genes? It isn’t a snake that has been bred like crazy to make... I know that, BUT that means it may have something different hidden in its genes? :p

Well I’m just having fun at the end of the day if it comes to it I’ll breed something like a snow or blizzard to her :D I just think if you don’t ask... or try to breed something different how would you know?

Maybe if I get a bloodred now and later on in bit I’ll get a butter and make some sufflers :D lol

But I’m sure you will beat me to that Nige :p that’s the fun part.

Good job on those hypo lavenders by the way... they must look nice!
I'm so new to this compared to you!

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
to be totally honest mate, if you wanna try and breed then just do it.
dont worry about what you will get.. if you get it right with the common morphs then go onto something else.
there must be a reason people havent made too many sulfers, i dont know what it is, but there must be one.
i know sci off of here has some hets, or his brother does.
bloodreds are not too common at the moment, which is good, but i just dont think yours is.
this is one of mine when she was younger, you will see she is clear underneath... in order to be bloodred your snake would need to look similar..

and one of here from the top too..

shes only 18 months or so there, so theres plenty more colouring to come out over the next 2/3 years.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
using a charcoal and a bloodred you can make these... they are pewters, pretty rare over here right now.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
or if you were really adventurous and a bit lucky, you could put it to one of these to make hets for hypo lavender bloodred...
they are worth a fortune, over a grand here..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
O, well I didn’t say that she was bloodred :p I asked if I breed her with a bloodred will the hatchlings be nice bloodreds? cuz I know the morph came about by someone spotting a more Red corn snake in the wild in south Florida and by selective breeding the bloodred became known.

The suffler (I think it was called) morph I think would take a lot more then me just trying to breed a butter to a bloodred, I know its not that simple... and the hypo lavender bloodred thing there.. Sounds amazing! I can understand why it's so much $$$ and it's only a het... do you sell those?

As I see it the bloodred can make some pretty nice snakes? If I can get bloodreds out of mine by breeding her with a bloodred, then later on I can buy maybe a lavender (from you :p ) and breed that with my bloodred that I would have brought for the breeding I wish to do with at first. What do you think?

That bloodred baby looks amazing nige! Is he/she one of yours?

Same with that lavender! Damn it looks high quality too :shock: :D

Thanks for the advice sorry you mistook my question maybe I writ it wrong.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyway sorry about all the questions!

I think I might go for a bloodred corn I really like them and I don’t mind if I don’t get nice bloodred hatchlings! It will be fun either way :D Thanks so much for your help.

Sorry I’m really picky on things I like, I remember when I was a kid I spent ages trying to figure out what model Jet to buy, spent like two hours looking at all the models I think it's more the love for it that I ask so many questions. The more knowledge I gain the more fun it is!

Next topic will be on breeding! (Watch out) lol :p But I’m going to read up on that before I ask any questions.

I'm so happy that I can do this and took the time to learn about genetics instead of just jumping to the breeding, not saying I know everything about genetics thought!

Thanks again Guys! And cornmorphs! :)

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
that blood is mine yes.
well if you breed a blood to your snake and you get all normals you will know that yours isnt a blood i guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts