Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this snake on my terrace in Northeast India. I am from North East India. This snake was about half a metre in length. The bigger one got away. In the last two three days it was raining heavily and we found tiny snake babies about 7 cm in length. I am worried if they are dangerous as there are a lot of children in my house. About 4 baby snakes have been found.
http://postimg.org/image/4qwuoysan/

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Hiya Nsekhose,

I am sorry,I don't know what species this is. This forum has a section, for venomous snakes,you could try posting your pic there. Someone more able to identify it,may spot it DWA Species - Reptile Forums.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Looks like Lycodon aulicus.... wolf snake, and its not poisonous.

I would wait untill thats confirmed by a few people though.

They eat frogs, so if its been raining for a few days that may explain why they have been more active.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Common Indian krait. Is it like wolf snake?

maybe its common kriat
:gasp: can someone tell me whether it is possible to differentiate between common krait and wolf snake?

This snake was hiding in the stones on the terrace for a long time it seems, because we even found shed skin. How many babies does it hatch? Could there be more lurking around :-0 ?

Please someone help me

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
:gasp: can someone tell me whether it is possible to differentiate between common krait and wolf snake?

This snake was hiding in the stones on the terrace for a long time it seems, because we even found shed skin. How many babies does it hatch? Could there be more lurking around :-0 ?

Please someone help me
Nature blah blah: how to differentiate between common Indian Krait and common Wolf snake

Good pics in this article.

I still call wolf snake, the picture you have shows a white band behind the neck and no diference in the vertabral scales.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Indeed - good feedback from Caffers and Lord Vetinari.

Perhaps Nsekhose is getting the word and defination of poisonous and venomous mixed up - which is a very very common mistake and not always obvious to other people.

Also - poisonous snake if eaten = Tiger Keelback : Rhabdophis tigrinus and it is also VENOMOUS, although it is a rear-fanged species of coloubrid. Although venomous, few deaths have been recorded... and it has a hesitancy to strike at a predator... may be because its fangs are located in the back of the mouth making a successful strike on a large object difficult. It is believed the toxicity derives from chemicals gained from eating toads in its diet and these chemicals are ingested and then stored within nuchal glands at the back of their necks.

Tiger Keelback also known as the floral snake.

p.s - Nsekhose : Looks like the snake in the photo is dead - did you hit/kill it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Indeed - good feedback from Caffers and Lord Vetinari.

Perhaps Nsekhose is getting the word and defination of poisonous and venomous mixed up - which is a very very common mistake and not always obvious to other .

p.s - Nsekhose : Looks like the snake in the photo is dead - did you hit/kill it?
Kwibezee, thanks for your feedback. Sorry for mixing up my vocabulary. New to all this. And yes the snake is dead, killed by panicky staff. :blush:

Learning so much from this forum

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Nelly, will you please elaborate on that? And also the difference between venomous and poisonous.
Poisons are ingested/eaten.
Venoms are injected.

It’s a really picky difference, and the truth is the words are used synonymously, even in scientific papers.

Don't worry - everyone knew what you meant. :2thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes,about 3 species i believe one of them is a garter snake.
Poisons are ingested/eaten.
Venoms are injected.

It’s a really picky difference, and the truth is the words are used synonymously, even in scientific papers.

Don't worry - everyone knew what you meant. :2thumb:
Lord Vetinari,

Thank you for the reply. Ingested or injected, if you're the recipient it would give the same results I guess.:gasp:

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Lord Vetinari,

Thank you for the reply. Ingested or injected, if you're the recipient it would give the same results I guess.:gasp:
It may not - some venoms can be drunk without harm..... but you have to be really sure you have no cuts or scratches in your mouth/osephegus or any stomach ulcers etc so that it doesn't enter your blood stream.

Its not advisable to this though!

Ideally you should use the word venomous instead of poisonous when talking about snake bites, but it's really not a big deal like people make out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.