Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
another batch of questions, sorry.

i have gave it some thought, and this is the viv id like to put a ATB in. at the moment it is a fish tank, but with some mods, it could work well, in theory.

i have looked up some care info, and most says that this will be ok, but i like the opinion of some clever dudes before i rip apart the tank, and make a new viv.

this is my visulisation, in paint no less!

the idea is, like a exoterra terranium, i can have a small amount of water in the bottom, 3-6 inches, with filter, and heater. then branches reaching up.

the top would be wooden, and the panel above the door would be glass (although it is brown in the pic :oops: ).
id paint the outside of the back wall green, and the left side would be polystrine insulated and next to my stack. the door would be wooden, and the white bits, a fine mesh vent.

id heat it with a 3'x1' heat matt against the back of the back, on the outside, andid put polystyrine on the other side of the mat to insulate from the wall.

i have read that i cannot use any heat emitter (bulb CHI), because they strike at it, so i dont intend to (why risk it), but i would like to have some light in there.

if flourecent ok? because it heats up a lil, but not very hot.

otherwise can i use a compact uv bulb.

what are peoples opinions on UVB, some of the care inf says yes, but others say it can damage their eyes.
should i use a habba mister on them, i could set it to "rain" from the top, i am only worried about the viabrations, disturbing the snake.

also, can i have a few fish in the bottom, it'dlook really pretty, but boa might eat them? is that safe?

thanks for any help

Dan

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
looks ok

hiya, your proposed viv looks fine size wise (it is only for one though isn't it?) but i wouldn't have the whole bottom filled with water! it sounds weird but depending on how many, thickness and position of your branches your ATB may prefer to lay on the ground!! ive had ATBs lay in hides for ages then after a rearrange of the branches they've found an acceptable perch and never come down again?? they seem to prefer cross over branches unlike emeralds wich like single or straight branches....hope this helps a we bit...
(any body else come across this???)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found lots of care for young ones, and three sites had them in a differnt type of container with a few inches of water in the bottom!

one was sweet jars, with branches, another was little kritter keeers with water in the bottom, and the third was using the smallest exoterras.

i thought it might be a nice display pieece, and could keep the humidity high, but if they like the ground then its a bit of a silly idea!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
alot of breeders do put water in the bottom when they re hatchlings to give them a head start, but if u think most breeders use very simple tubs with no substrate or hide for their young so water in the bottom is the only way to ensure humidity with out spraying them every half hour....

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
alot of breeders do put water in the bottom when they re hatchlings to give them a head start, but if u think most breeders use very simple tubs with no substrate or hide for their young so water in the bottom is the only way to ensure humidity with out spraying them every half hour....
makes sence, i posted before i saw yours.

i know i am cheeky, but any chance of a pic of your cooks setups, so i know what to aim for, pretty please? :D

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
no probs

i dont know if its something to aim for but heres my cooks set up the viv is 5ft tall 3 1/2ft wide and 2ft deep (honest opinions please!!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
i think a substrate that allows good humidity retaining properties and a big waterbowl would be much better than a large area of water and will be easier to maintain and clean
very nice plan though darkdan :)

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
this is how i set up my neonates

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
up to one year slightly larger taller box

·
Registered
9,815 Posts