Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm currently converting my 4ft aquarium into a Beardie viv and would like some advice please. I've noticed people using these a couple of times and wondered if they're suitable enough as a dimmer for my spot lamp?

Dimmer switch: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

They're definitely much cheaper than the Habistat dimmers i've done a bit of research on.

Also, I hope I describe this correctly, but if not feel free to shout! - My viv is top opening and i'd rather not drill into it at all (it has plenty of ventilation by the way) if I can help it. I was just wondering about people's ideas for affixing a heat lamp inside?

Would it be possible to have a light fitting on the end of a long cord with a plug, and dangle that into the viv, with the plug outside? (Where would I get such a fitting?) Of course i'd cover the actual lamp with a cage. Would it be okay for the lamp cage to just rest against the glass? I feel that the lamps with clamps that are commercially available, wouldn't fit onto the side of my viv as it has been custom made with quite thick wood. Hope you guys understand it, otherwise I might have to draw a picture!

Anyway, thank you in advance for your advice.

Kind regards,

Daisy

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
that works as a dimmer is dimms the light, it doesnt do it re the heat of the viv, which is what you need.
Hi there,

I'm currently converting my 4ft aquarium into a Beardie viv and would like some advice please. I've noticed people using these a couple of times and wondered if they're suitable enough as a dimmer for my spot lamp?

Dimmer switch: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

They're definitely much cheaper than the Habistat dimmers i've done a bit of research on.

Also, I hope I describe this correctly, but if not feel free to shout! - My viv is top opening and i'd rather not drill into it at all (it has plenty of ventilation by the way) if I can help it. I was just wondering about people's ideas for affixing a heat lamp inside?

Would it be possible to have a light fitting on the end of a long cord with a plug, and dangle that into the viv, with the plug outside? (Where would I get such a fitting?) Of course i'd cover the actual lamp with a cage. Would it be okay for the lamp cage to just rest against the glass? I feel that the lamps with clamps that are commercially available, wouldn't fit onto the side of my viv as it has been custom made with quite thick wood. Hope you guys understand it, otherwise I might have to draw a picture!

Anyway, thank you in advance for your advice.

Kind regards,

Daisy

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used one of those on my heat mat while I was waiting for the money to buy a pulse stat... I had a digital thermometer over the heat mat when I was using it so that I could monitor temps accurately.. It worked fine as it regulates the ouput of wahtever device you have it connected to (heat mat, light, ceramic heater etc) BUT the problem comes if you have large temp variations in your room... (eg day and night diffs) if that is the case then you need to monitor your temps quite carefully with the digital thermometer and adjust accordingly.. Since I've changed to my pulse stat the temps are staying constant (as the stat does the adjustment work!) and the stat was only £25 (brand new) from someone who advertises in the calssifieds on here...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much for your replies. If I just want to monitor my basking lamp, what will I need to use? A pulse stat or a dimming stat? I was under the impression that I could turn the basking lamp off during the night so long as the temp doesn't fall below 60oF, which is about 15oC I think.

Any ideas about the light on the end of the cable?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Using that dimmer would be the equivalent of just buying a lower wattage bulb. The dimmers people talk about on here are thermostats that automatically dim or brighten depending on how warm the tank is.

You can get the light fittings you are talking about from any hardware store or section for next to nothing. B&Q, Wilkinsons etc etc

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
Thank you both very much for your replies. If I just want to monitor my basking lamp, what will I need to use? A pulse stat or a dimming stat? I was under the impression that I could turn the basking lamp off during the night so long as the temp doesn't fall below 60oF, which is about 15oC I think.

Any ideas about the light on the end of the cable?
you'll need to use a dimming stat or the light will be on off on off on off on off. You will need to turn the lamp off at night otherwise it'll be a constant day time.
yep 60 / 65 is fine for a night time drop but even a bit more wouldn't kill them. Its just pretty much an average natural environment temperature.

i wouldn't advise a bulb dangling loose. is there anyway you attach it to a piece of wood and fit the wood into it?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you again, everyone is very helpful here. I'm so glad I joined. I'll have to post pictures once everything has been converted, to see how suitable it is.

Dimming stat it is then, i'll look into getting one tomorrow. I think they reptile shop near me sells them, otherwise i've seen a couple of members selling them on here. I won't purchase that one from Amazon.

As for the light cable, I agree, i'm not that confident leaving the light dangling so i'll do my best to secure it, even if it's just a couple of staples attaching the lamp cage to the wood!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts