Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr Happy's slough is alot thicker than slinky's. Is it because he's a darker morph than her?
Just found it interesting!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr Happy's a Diones ratsnake *swooooon!*, and Slinky's a grey ratsnake x normal corn. Slinky's 17" and Mr Happy's 20". ( both babies, just different ages)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Could be just a species thing - they are from different continents after all.

Assuming that the Diones would live at slightly cooler temps in the wild than the rat/corn cross, that would kind of fit in with the sheds of two of mine; the Pueblan milk's (central Mexico so pretty warm) shed skin is incredibly thin, but my red-sided garter's (from more temperate areas) shed skin is, I reckon, about 3 times thicker or more..

So maybe cooler temps = slower metabolism = fewer, but thicker sheds each time?

Not sure about that TBH, just guessing, but would be interesting to hear what others say about theirs.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool! I did think it might be something to do with temps. Just found it kinda interesting!
Hehe snakes really do syncronise sheds! Slinky shed a day after Mr Happy! yay! I can't believe how long Slinky's going to be! She's about 6 months younger than Mr Happy, and only 3 " off him!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Wouldnt be so sure hunnyxbunny - whilst no scientific research (that I am aware of) has been conducted into the synchronisation of shedding in captive snakes, there is a mass of anecdotal evidence to suggest that it occurs quite regularly in captive collections.

·
Registered
380 Posts
at the moment i have 13 snakes and i have never seen a pattern in the shedding, it depends on feeding.....as hunnyxbunny says.
obviously if identical species are kept and fed at the same time then their shed cycles wont be far off but saying they syncronise shedding would be going a bit far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts