Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*as per the title you have been warned that the topic involves royals being eaten and a pic of this. i've posted this for it to be discussed not for 20 royal lovers to start crying. you've been given ample warning sensitive people, but mods if you deem this inappropriate by all means delete it i was just interested in other keepers views.

on to the post:
i'm bored and was scrolling through the facebook feed, someone posted these two pics to a ‎Hamm And Houten Reptile Classifieds group:

i have nothing against seeing snakes eat beardies, other snakes or any other herp for that matter. provided it's a nature pic, or done in captivity for good reason, it'd be rather close minded and over sensitive of someone to flare up to that and own most reptiles in my opinion.

but is this too far though?

personally i don't care that a royal is being used as a feeder, or that it's a morph. i am questioning the dark humour of this though, where it was posted and why. use an over bred species as food for a ophiophagous species, sure, but don't seem to enjoy it and rub it in to keepers of that species specifically in a group that does deal with them.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
So long as neither animal suffered, I am not bothered by that picture.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Why would it be any different to a snake eating a rat? Just because I really like snakes I am under no illusion that their lives are any more precious than any other animal.

·
Banned
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So long as neither animal suffered, I am not bothered by that picture.
Why would it be any different to a snake eating a rat? Just because I really like snakes I am under no illusion that their lives are any more precious than any other animal.
as i said no objection to the feeding, more the dark humour being posted on a group full of royal people, and a group that is just for classifieds not randomness.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
as i said no objection to the feeding, more the dark humour being posted on a group full of royal people, and a group that is just for classifieds not randomness.
That's not dark humour- that's just trolling. ;)

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
The Hamm and Houten group isn't full of Royal people. It's full of anyone selling things at those shows, that includes DWA species as well as lizards, snakes, arachnids, bugs and feeder items.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Couldn't give a monkeys in honesty- feeder animals are bred for the purpose of being a feeder.

They aren't my pets, I have no emotional connection with feeder items.

Simples.

·
Banned
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Hamm and Houten group isn't full of Royal people. It's full of anyone selling things at those shows, that includes DWA species as well as lizards, snakes, arachnids, bugs and feeder items.
it's got more variety then most other groups, but there are a tonne of royal morphs being advertised.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
There are loads of photos out there. Here is another to keep the ball rolling :2thumb:

Best place for them IMO ;)
Your to much of a royal enthusiast to comment here :whistling2:

·
Registered
572 Posts
As a royal lover I think it's disgusting.........
JOKES not overly bothered by it same as feeding a snake a gerbil or hamster, common pets that are kept but a tasty treat also.

·
Registered
805 Posts
And here's a frog eating a GTP -

The life of any animal always has the potential to get rough, and when you add a human into the mix, the chances are it'll get a lot rougher. We are not a pleasant species.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
And here's a frog eating a GTP -

The life of any animal always has the potential to get rough, and when you add a human into the mix, the chances are it'll get a lot rougher. We are not a pleasant species.
:gasp: wow that's an expensive meal! what made you want to do that?

the way royals are being over-bred, soon they will end up as a common food item for snake eaters. it's been said before on here actually by someone else a while ago. saw a normal royal for £20 at donny last year, wonder if they have come down any more for this year's kempton. if they ever get down to a tenner i'll have one :2thumb:

Reactions: Demonique

·
Registered
805 Posts
:gasp: wow that's an expensive meal! what made you want to do that?
Nothing to do with me! Just a picture I found on a venomous forum - I don't know anything about the picture whatsoever, and am inclined to believe/hope that the hatchling was already dead.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
i've got no issue with it, if anything it may serve as somewhat of a warning to those churning out clutch after clutch hoping to hit genetics bingo: thats where those without the paint job you're after could end up.

the whole raging hypocrisy surrounding the hysteria over feeding snakes/reptiles to other snakes annoys me, especially when the animal has been culled for the purpose rather than died of natural causes. rats and mice are wonderful animals, they're intelligent, loving and adorable. yet people happily feed those without a thought...

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't believe OP was asking whether or not you agree with feeder snakes, as he agrees that it's okay him/herself, but that's what everyone seems to be answering to (not having a go but trying to steer onto a different (ish) topic!). I, like everyone else agrees with feeder snakes and I don't value a feeder snake's life any more than a feeder rat's/mouse's life. However, I don't agree with the dark humor surrounding it like the OP pointed out, fair enough that some snakes, like King Cobras, need a diet of other snakes but joking about an animals death seems disrespectful to me. I know it's a feeder, but it's life wasn't worthless, it's still an animal's life that had to be taken in the end. I'm not saying that everyone should say a few words before they feed them or make a little monument for it, just a little courtesy and respect is all.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
its no different to a Black Headed Python eating another snake.....

if i was breeding say Carpet morphs,i would have no issue feeding the undesirable unsellable siblings...

imo it's better to feed them to a BHP than flood the market with unwanted siblings,BHP's feed on lizards and snakes in the wild,i see no difference them doing it in captivity

cheers shaun

1 - 20 of 77 Posts