Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was on a website where it said that some CF animals are buried in sand so the gravid female lays the eggs there or dies and lets the body rot down to help the eggs :evil: :evil: :evil:

is this true ????

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
link?

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Yeah they do do it with captive farmed animals, not for the rotting animal helping but purely so they can keep tabs on them. heres a link from our local shop but its well known across the reptile world

http://www.reptilecentre.com/care_sheets/hannah_welfare_and_safety_considerations.htm

thats why i never touch captive farmed or wild caught, too much emphisis on money rather than animal welfare. Also then you run the risk of diseased animals. Theres never any need to not get captive bred animals in this day and age

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Theres never any need to not get captive bred animals in this day
Unless we are talkin a species that isnt available captive bred of course.

I had never ever heard or even considered that farmers of reps bury the gravid females alive... thats terrible............if its true..

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
DEANandTRESE said:
Theres never any need to not get captive bred animals in this day
Unless we are talkin a species that isnt available captive bred of course.

I had never ever heard or even considered that farmers of reps bury the gravid females alive... thats terrible............if its true..
yeah i remember reading it years ago on a cities site or something, its usually countrys in africa where they dont care, just desperate for the money

Yeah of course there are species that are harder(or nigh on impossible) to get captive bred but alot of this goes on with royal pythons which is crazy. Theres alot of breeders all over the world and some with pretty rare species. I used to know a guy in the uk who bred shinglebacks and they are hard to get hold of especially with australia stopping all exports

Ive even heard of wild caught and captive farmed corn snakes in the states, and how easy are corns to breed. Cant understand it

Ive seen loads of captive farmed royals in the uk for sale and people are buying them to save £20.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Spikebrit said:
omg is about all i can say, why would anyone do that.

Spike

Money :evil:

If you want to avoid it just watch out for cf animals(alot of the time they mention it) Im lucky our local shop is really good and never has anything wc or cf and they get some really unusual things in too

I usually go by the principle if it seems too cheap, it probably is(shop wise) If i dont buy from the shops and go direct to breeders i usually have a good look around. When i brought my royals i went to an excellent breeder and saw the parents, how they were looked after etc and it puts your mind at ease and also its pretty nice to look around anyway :wink:

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
captaincaveman said:
Yeah they do do it with captive farmed animals, not for the rotting animal helping but purely so they can keep tabs on them. heres a link from our local shop but its well known across the reptile world

http://www.reptilecentre.com/care_sheets/hannah_welfare_and_safety_considerations.htm

thats why i never touch captive farmed or wild caught, too much emphisis on money rather than animal welfare. Also then you run the risk of diseased animals. Theres never any need to not get captive bred animals in this day and age
yea thats the link...
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts