Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally found a website that sells butterworms online,was about to order after i read thro some bits and this woman reckons when dead butterworms produce acid that can melt plastic! :shock: surely no good for reps if thats the case,pls shed some like on this if you have any inside info so to speak,i really wanted to get eddie some now im off on a panic again :roll:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't think it's true. I've had dead butterworms before in the pot they were delivered in and they just smell horrid, no melted plastic!! My leos love butterworms and they are a good source of calcium, so feed away :)

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
i believe butterworms are the same as whats also called Tebo's. Try www.pollywog.co.uk he has a livefood site set up for Tebos and Phoenix worms.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Think that's a bit of urban legend or something myself... I've feed butterworms before with no consequences....

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
yeh i have never herd of it.think its like the meal worm myth about them eating through their stomachs. :wink:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
yeh anthony isnt tellig porkies, though i thought it was a waterdragon someone said had died from it.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Even if it did smell a bit plasticy, its not like it IS plastic lol, its just the bugs bodily fluid and oils and most things dont smell nice when theyre dead anyway.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
AnthonyY said:
Yes it is, i know of 2 people this has happened. The person who it happened to on here. It was a green anole and the other off the forum was a bearded dragon :(
Sorry but I just don't believe it! I think it was probably something else other than a mealie..... I'd like to see the posts on it though if you can find them?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
just been looking for tehm myself but i acnt remember who it was who said it. it does exist though cuz i remember people even saying that they never thought it was really true.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I personally believe that it was something other than mealies eating there way through the stomachs.... but if someone shows me proof I'm willign to change my mind!

·
Registered
641 Posts
The mealworm thing is pretty much rubbish, like the acid melting butterworms...

Yes there's been cases of mealworms eating their way out of lizards, but these were either already dead or well on their way as they were ill. If your lizard is healthy and in good shape there really isn't any risk :roll:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Thats just an account of someone claiming it happened to there skink... theres no factual evidence supporting it. Theres not even a picture

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
im just showing u that anthony isnt lying. I dont particularly beleive it as i feed morios to most of my reptiles and dont crush their heads. I think a reptiles stomach acid is enough to kill a bug before it has chance to start nibbling its way out of a reps stomach.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts