Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i woke up yesterday afternoon after a quick cat nap lol n there was a thing on telly bout scorpions n these 2 childrens presenters were goin on like they wanted to kill it and the man was like they can be frozen solid n not die n they can hold there breath under water for sumthin like 30 hours and not eat anything for like 3 month lol i thought it was a load of shit but it could be tru i dunno

·
Banned
5,833 Posts
i woke up yesterday afternoon after a quick cat nap lol n there was a thing on telly bout scorpions n these 2 childrens presenters were goin on like they wanted to kill it and the man was like they can be frozen solid n not die n they can hold there breath under water for sumthin like 30 hours and not eat anything for like 3 month lol i thought it was a load of shit but it could be tru i dunno
I understood nothing....no joke....obviously a different language :lol2:

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Lots of ectotherms, like scorpions, need far less food than mammals, and I know some arachnids can happily go a year without eating.

The same applies to their oxygen needs, far lower than yours or mine, if it wasn't doing much a scorpion might be able to survive for some time under-water, though I don't know about 30 hours. This site here quotes "2 days underwater" ASU-Ask A Biologist - Scorpions .

As for freezing... I suspect actual freezing would, as with most other living creatures, cause massive damage to soft tissue basically liquefying the scorpions insides. However, I do know some invertebrates, such as the weta of New Zealand have antifreeze like chemicals in their bodies allowing them to withstand such temperatures with ice crystals on their outsides, but their insides maintained as liquid.

Also mate, please use punctuation and capital letters. That should have been several sentences, not one.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks hedgewitch i thought i was dreaming at first cos i was jus thinkin no way this can be tru but i guess it is lol. n elliot thats jus how i talk sorry. i speak on here like i do in life not like im writing an essay lol

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Scorpions die if frozen. as for the water thing, thats also untrue. They can survive a short period under water, but 30 house is a huge exagiration. I keep DWA scorps and as a saftey measure I keep all their tubs in an old fish tank with 2 inch of water. So if they escape, they will drown instead of being able to roam my house. As for the food thing, thats true. Scorpions, like many other inverts can go a very long time with no food. I have seen them go 6 months and not look any worse for it.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
As for freezing... I suspect actual freezing would, as with most other living creatures, cause massive damage to soft tissue basically liquefying the scorpions insides. However, I do know some invertebrates, such as the weta of New Zealand have antifreeze like chemicals in their bodies allowing them to withstand such temperatures with ice crystals on their outsides, but their insides maintained as liquid.

If I remember correctly , there's a few true spiders that can survive freezing too . I think it's to do with the high level of certain sugars in their blood as well as the fact that the cells of their body don't rupture like most biological cells when frozen .

It's been a fair few years since I saw this on TV so anyone more qualified on this subject please feel free to correct . :lol2:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the messages ppl:) but i do wish people would stop appearing with spiders on there message lol

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
the picture things on messages like u have hitler(for sum reason) everyones cumin on with spiders. and the bottom picture on mutleys signature thing is just overlly scary
:lol2:

Which one ? The Ornata is zoomed in a bit , while the Plesio is actually bigger that a fully mature adult .

·
Banned
5,833 Posts
the picture things on messages like u have hitler(for sum reason) everyones cumin on with spiders. and the bottom picture on mutleys signature thing is just overlly scary
pm me tomorrow and I will sort one out for you : victory:
and that is not just hitler.... that is hitler playing a banjo and his SS spivs nodding away

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i have a hamster :smile:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have a hamster :smile:
lol mint. i had bout 2 hamsters i bought a dwarf one n she died the next day i was furious lol but then got a massvine one n she started gettin tumours all ova her when she was a year old so she had to be put down

1 - 20 of 35 Posts