Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to Bearded dragon Keeping but Ive been looking at custom viv decorations and thught I'd give it a go.

I know it need grouting, painting and sealing before it can go in the viv but just wanted to see if it was OK for my bearded dragon.
My idea is to grout it, not sure how many coats I need to put on, and then use play sand to make it look more deserty, and then grill/toast some sand so its darker to add detail and then seal it with a matt varnish.
I've got enough polystyrene to make a few hides for him too.

one more thing, I've got the exoterra feeding/wayer bowls. Could I use aquarium silicon to coat them in sand (outside only) and varnish them so they match the rest of the viv?

Thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
I personally don't like that type of layout. Looks like that awful Bearded Dragon specific viv you can get with the shelf's on either side.
It give's the viv a hot top and cool bottom, where as hot one side and cool the other just works better.
Also UV has limited access on the bottom layer.

This of course Is my opinion only. It does look ace tho dude, very well made. Good job.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The extra high platform wont be of any real use.

looks smart other than that.

Reactions: mrsimpson85

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally don't like that type of layout. Looks like that awful Bearded Dragon specific viv you can get with the shelf's on either side.
It give's the viv a hot top and cool bottom, where as hot one side and cool the other just works better.

This of course Is my opinion only. It does look ace tho dude, very well made. Good job.
Thanks for the reply, I did buy one of them "awful Bearded Dragon specific viv you can get with the shelf's on either side"
I now know that there not ideal but I spent a few pounds on it and then spent a few more trying to make it better, a dimmer stat for the heat lamp, a better uv tube, a ceramic heat lamp with holder & guard, (to keep the temps right at night), a pulse stat, so unfortunately it's going to have to do him for a while until I can afford to upgrade.
I bought natural slat tiles for the floor today and decided to try and make a interior what looked a little bit better and different to the last 1/standard shelves.
I'm not very arty so I thought I'd go for a stone/Rock theme.
This covers just over half of the viv, so I can do somethng different on the other side, (maybe)
The grout is still wet/drying.

Sorry about the pic quality but lost my phone so am using a old iphone.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

Hi, I'm interested to hear why a vertical thermogradient works better than a vertical one?

Thanks for the reply, I did buy one of them "awful Bearded Dragon specific viv you can get with the shelf's on either side"
I now know that there not ideal but I spent a few pounds on it and then spent a few more trying to make it better, a dimmer stat for the heat lamp, a better uv tube, a ceramic heat lamp with holder & guard, (to keep the temps right at night), a pulse stat, so unfortunately it's going to have to do him for a while until I can afford to upgrade.
I bought natural slat tiles for the floor today and decided to try and make a interior what looked a little bit better and different to the last 1/standard shelves.
I'm not very arty so I thought I'd go for a stone/Rock theme.
This covers just over half of the viv, so I can do somethng different on the other side, (maybe)
The grout is still wet/drying.

Sorry about the pic quality but lost my phone so am using a old iphone.
I think that looks great mate, nice work.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi, I'm interested to hear why a vertical thermogradient works better than a vertical one?
That's not the issue. As I said it's the UV gradient. The shelves create such a shaded area half the Viv has no UV. UV it so vital to the health and well being of our beardies.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
843 Posts
That's not the issue. As I said it's the UV gradient. The shelves create such a shaded area half the Viv has no UV. UV it so vital to the health and well being of our beardies.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
I see no problems with the layout, looks good.
Having shaded areas is important, they need A photo gradient.They should be given the option to escape from the UVB.

The extra high platform wont be of any real use.

looks smart other than that.
Can I ask why the highest platform won't be of any real use?

Given the height bearded dragons will use it being semi arboreal.
Mine certainly uses the highest platform in his viv, that's where he can always be found. Hes rarely on the ground.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Five coats of grout and a bit of paint later this is what I have.

Going to get some satin varnish today and give it 3 or 4 coats, let it dry for a few days and then put it in the viv.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Looks Good so far :2thumb:
I mad a few of these and they work well and allows you to be creative with customising your viv.
One tip....seal it with pva, and use this to set your sand on as well. Dries nice and quick and not harmful to your reps

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
While I think it looks great up to now, I think you are heading into a heating nightmare there.

To get your basking temp right, you will need to adjust the height of your basking spot and the wattage of your basking bulb. The issue you are going to have is that with a fixed height basking platform that is not going to be possible.

You are also going to have no heat gradient at your basking area as its all one level. Your basking area needs to be a multi level 'pyramid' type structure ideally. So beardie can choose a lower heat at the side of it if it wants.

I often find that people who do builds with fixed basking platforms end up regretting it and breaking them out fairly soon.

Suggestion. Take out that fixed area and make it into an adjustable height one. You can make extra 'leg blocks' that you can put under to change the height if you want to. If you fix little wooden dowels into the bottom of the legs, and holes in the 'leg blocks' then you can lego them together if needed. dont make the fit to tight though.

Also be aware that using a polybase under the grouting for a basking area will eventually give you just a grouting skin and no poly. The polly melts down under the grout and leaves a crust of grouting. Ok if its away from the basking spot and a low usage area, but for a basking spot it could eventually break through.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts