Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I LOVE this question and it makes me laugh every time I hear it. I stumbled on a "expert" site that claimed that boas are "large non poisonous snakes". Well that's sort of true they are large snakes but no way would they every be poisonous nor do I tend to want to ingest them to find out! I have to tell people the difference between being poisonous and venomous ingested vs injected constantly. You can eat venom and be perfectly fine, people do it in certain countries as a sign of power and to gain spiritual guidance though you would have to be careful not to have any open wounds in your mouth or digestion track.

I was wondering how many of you got this question and how you have dealt with it? I also love the people who say, oh.. they only get as big as their house is.. yeah... no.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Am always polite to people... Aim to explain to them rather than laugh at them... But it did make me wonder what kind of person she thought I must be sat with a little kid and a venomous snake lol do I chuckled on the inside lol

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
But, they are large non-poisonous snakes?

The point being made is that venom isn't poison, venom is injected into the bloodstream which is where it causes damage. Poison causes damage when it's ingested.

They are therefore large, non-venomous snakes.

At least that's what I believe the point of the thread it. Basically saying venomous and poisonous aren't the same thing.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
The point being made is that venom isn't poison, venom is injected into the bloodstream which is where it causes damage. Poison causes damage when it's ingested.

They are therefore large, non-venomous snakes.

At least that's what I believe the point of the thread it. Basically saying venomous and poisonous aren't the same thing.
Yeah, thanks for clearing that up:whistling2:

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
if some one asks me if one of my non venomous snakes is poisoness i reply,, only if you eat it raw, by the way garter snakes can be "poisoness"

·
Registered
714 Posts
venom is technically a poison, not all poisons need to be ingested
no not really poisons can be injected.
Correct, poison can be injected - by a human. The two are classified differently on the basis of delivery by the producing animal, an injected 'poison' is venom (when delivered by an animal).

The two terms are used interchangeably, and it isn't stupidity to use one for the other mistakenly and we shouldn't chastise people for being confused as to the difference.

Poison is absorbed or ingested when another animal touches or ingests the poisonous animal. Venom is injected, through teeth or a stinger for example, when a venomous animal bites or stings.

If a toxin is injected it is a venom. If a toxin is absorbed / ingested it is a poison. I am talking naturally occurring toxins here, not man made.

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
Correct, poison can be injected - by a human. The two are classified differently on the basis of delivery by the producing animal, an injected 'poison' is venom (when delivered by an animal).

The two terms are used interchangeably, and it isn't stupidity to use one for the other mistakenly and we shouldn't chastise people for being confused as to the difference.

Poison is absorbed or ingested when another animal touches or ingests the poisonous animal. Venom is injected, through teeth or a stinger for example, when a venomous animal bites or stings.

If a toxin is injected it is a venom. If a toxin is absorbed / ingested it is a poison. I am talking naturally occurring toxins here, not man made.
exactly my point : victory:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no not really poisons can be injected.
^ being difficult to be difficult

Like the poster under you I agree if used incorrectly by not knowing any different, I just find it funny.

Snakes that most of us keep are NOT poisonous or venomous and to call them poisonous is not correct.

The terms venomous and poisonous are often used interchangeably, but incorrectly. Most Venom works differently then say poisons by how they are delivered. Thus calling a snake poisonous is incorrect. Sure you could inject me with poison but that's not what I'm on about is it?

Some of you lot make me cringe. It's like everything has to become a fight!

You full well knew what I meant..

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This post was a joke, I just find it funny how often I hear it! No need to turn it into anything other then that "shakes head in shame"

·
Registered
35,069 Posts

Like the poster under you I agree if used incorrectly by not knowing any different, I just find it funny.

Snakes that most of us keep are NOT poisonous or venomous and to call them poisonous is not correct.

The terms venomous and poisonous are often used interchangeably, but incorrectly. Most Venom works differently then say poisons by how they are delivered. Thus calling a snake poisonous is incorrect. Sure you could inject me with poison but that's not what I'm on about is it?

It's not a fight, just being as difficult as you are by laughing at people who use the term poisonous, and by the way some snakes are poisonous if ingested, so it is a valid question from that point of view also.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

People are just giving you their knowledge mate, noone is having a go at you.

Surely if you're saying that, then this thread condradicts your point in the first place? If someone says I have a poisonous snake, everyone knows what they actually mean is venomous, so who cares? In the same way that everyone knew wht you were on about. Dont get annoyed if people are being smart assed to you, when you were in the first place :2thumb:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never said I laughed at anyone the questions just makes me giggle, assumption maybe and you know what that means:Na_Na_Na_Na:

I said I found it funny and I do, im sure most people who get asked if their corn snake is poisonous finds it a bit funny if you don't then well.. you're one of few. Well I suppose if I did own a snake that was indeed "poisonous" id be telling them to stop trying to gnaw on my snake. I usually tell them no, my snake isn't poisonous or venomous and they are all really nice and if they would like to have a look at one.

Like I said, no need to be assumption I was basing my point on harmless none "poisonous" or venomous snakes. Excuse me :whistling2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts