Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I dont think its too big...But the fact that it is a live fuzzy does my head in. :evil:

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True.
i found another where they were feeding a bosc monitor and the kids were all shouting stuff like "COME ON KILL IT ALREADY!" etc.. their attitude towards it just was blah.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Granted it happens in the wild. But in captivity it can be helped! poor buggers.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't think of feeding my snakes anything live. For many reasons, like i wouldn't want to injure my snake, plus i don't think i could sit there and watch something like that.

·
Registered
632 Posts
too right, some people just don't care though! theres no need for it, especially since there are soo many pre killed... it seems such a waste!

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be honest if i was there to witness it i'd probably have to get something to knock the mouse out. It's just... not right.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They're idiots, you might have to ask them?
Also maybe he was worried it might have been a bit too big?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate a bit and spice up the debate.

What you are all saying is, dont you think, just a bit on the hypocritcal side!!!

All the animals we feed our snakes were once live, the only differance is that, some, unknown person killed them for us, thus saving our guilt. Its the same with our own food.

How many of you would kill your own lamb, butcher it, and cook it, NOT MANY. I know i wouldn't, because the alternative is too easy.

So dont be too quick to condem these poor misguided (probably american) individuals.

heheh!!!

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sure most of the food we feed out snakes are killed in a humane way. :p

Also i've seen chickens i was going to eat the day after killed, skinned and bled. And also have woken up to a rabbit hanging just outside the door (Not the thing i wanted to wake up to after a night of proper drinking!)

Friends of the family in France are farmers :p

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Well as I have said before I am quite happy to kill if it means my own survival, that of my family or indeed a pet. I just don't think there is a need for unesasary suffering like that of the mouse that was being shown in this clip. The snake didn't exactly make a quick job! and then to see the guy had cut the mouse in half as well....hhmmm... not sure that was essential, just some sicko having fun I reckon.. Anyway, I am saying no more as these debates always end up getting locked at some point, I've had my turn and will now leave other people to voice thier own opinions..

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I think the main area of this debate is the killing for necessity vs killing for sick pleasure.

Clearly the owner of that clip had 'issues', thats where I have the problem.

The death of the mouse was necessary, the snake needed food, but the manner in which the clip owner videoed it, then cut it in half anyway was pretty sick.
If the snake was happy to eat the dead halves of the mouse, surely it would have happily eaten stunned or pre-killed.. the suffering therefore not necessary?

Yes, I'm proud when Nyoka takes a mouse (frozen!), but that is because I see it as a reflection of her current happiness, that she is willing to feed... Do I video this and share it with the grand audience that is the users of the interweb? no!

Killing for food is nature... its the way of the world. In the 'real world' animals probably do suffer when they are caught by a snake, but they also have more of a chance of escape. Its natures way of pick the weaker genes out of the genepool! The stronger, faster animals are more unlikely to be prey.

(Awaits the 'thread locked' emote!)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Exaclty... that mouse suffercated slowly and probably died in pain. The point is with all the mice/rat we feed they would have be killed humanly and not suffered

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Some good points raised here I think... I know I said I wouldn't post again but can't help it! lol As long as the debate stays friendly like this then I can't see it being locked which would be good as its quite an interesting debate. I will be watching this thread with interest to see what other peoples opinions are. 8)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts