Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

I recently bought 5x LED systems from Barry at iStat, for my 5 viv stack. I am extremely pleased with them and this is a genuine review of the product, from my experiences. :2thumb:

iStat LED's
Positive Comments: Very thin, perfect brightness, great control.

Negative Comments: None I can think of!

The iStat LED lighting systems are great products. I needed some sort of lighting in my new vivs and wanted something discrete as my vivs run Habistat Reptile Radiators and I wanted to continue the desecrate look within my vivs. The lights are very thin, thinner than I expected. I would say that they are just a slight bit thicker than the top runner used for sliding glass doors on vivs.

Mine are placed at the front of the viv behind the upper lip, they come with two clamps that screw into place and hold the system securely, flat against the viv. I personally bought double sided tape to additionally secure the system as my adult boas can be pretty destructive at times. But this was more for my piece of mind than needed.

On turning the system on, I was pleased to see the lights were not to bright. I expected the white light to be quite bright but thought the brightness was perfect for daylight viewing. Cycling through the other colours I was pleased to see that each colour had its own use and they all looked great.

The colour changing option is great, originally I was not keen on having the multiple colours as only really wanted a daylight viewing light, however, I am now really glad I chose this system as I can see myself using all the colours, for different viewing pleasures.

I had looked at 'cheaper' options through eBay and other external sights and seriously considered the advantages of buying the iStat system. Speaking with Barry he assured me these were great and better than anything else out there. He wasn't wrong. I am over the moon with them and they are definitely worth the extra few pounds to get the better product. I originally thought how much better can these be … the answer is obvious once set up and running.

Overall, this system is superior to anything else I have found on the market. Their great design and slick look make them perfect for every vivarium. :no1:

I haven't got any pictures of them set up as off yet due to moving and madness before xmas leave ... when i get a minute ill get some pics up.

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
if he puts as much thought into his leds as he did his stat im sure their a fine product, i like the way he thinks his designs out, very smart, very future proof.

one problem with cheap leds and iv used more than my fair share is they tend to "fade down", what i mean is their super bright out the packet but over the next couple of months after being on 12 hours a day they gradually becoming dimmer, i wasn't sure on how much they fade till i had to replace two strips in my mahogany rack and the difference in intensity was startling. cheap leds may look bright and sparkly at first but from my experience (im using 10 cheap strips at the moment) they don't stay that way for long.

rgds
ed

·
Banned
300 Posts
Thanks Greg for the review of the new LED lights, always nice to hear good things about our products.
@Ed, So far i am proud of our achievements and hope that we can go from strength to strength on our products both now and in the future.

Im really looking forward to 2013, especially with our new bluetooth iSTAT nearing completion

You can find to talk to on facebook if your interested in our products.

www.facebook.com/groups/istatproducts

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
multi channel/probe models is an untapped market here i think (looong digital probes)

i use these

but their neanderthal calculators compared to ur designs and urs would be far more preferable.

rgds
ed

Thanks Greg for the review of the new LED lights, always nice to hear good things about our products.
@Ed, So far i am proud of our achievements and hope that we can go from strength to strength on our products both now and in the future.

Im really looking forward to 2013, especially with our new bluetooth iSTAT nearing completion

You can find to talk to on facebook if your interested in our products.

www.facebook.com/groups/istatproducts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
multi channel/probe models is an untapped market here i think (looong digital probes)

i use these

but their neanderthal calculators compared to ur designs and urs would be far more preferable.

rgds
ed
this is what i need, a mutli stat system for up to 8 mats which not only controls the mats temp but also tells me what the mats temp is

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Im currently in the process of making my own thermostat/humidity guage, with a full LCD display able to scroll through and check temps of each tank. I will be programming it to email me at work throughout different times in the day with the temps and humidity of each tank. Eventually I would like to hook it up to my misting system so I can tell it to mist my chameleon when his humidity drops.

it will be my adventure for 2013 :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
How will you be doing the email side of things Nikkifer
Also just out of curiosity what LCD are you using, we have decided that any future models wont have LCD now.
Well I'm rather lucky lol my other half is a software engineer/developer so I will be getting him to write me a full programme,
as for the LCD again not sure yet it's all in the planning stages as I can't decide wether to introduce fans into my vivariums for the summer. My plan is tp be able to have the thermostat report to me at my work pc with all the temps, they will be connected to a calender which will insinuate the times of sunrise and subset by dimming my bulbs, in summer I hope to be able tomonitor the temps and when they get to high dim the lights and flick a small computer fan on to cool it down. all caged ofc causing no harm to the snakes. But as I say it's all in the planning stages I'm hoping to create a thread in January with the start of it.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Sounds cool, we have something thats pretty much identical to what you described, only we dont have the LCD displays.

If your other half is a software engineer/developer (pretty much the same as me) then may i reccomend using a 64x128 pixel Graphical LCD display, there super easy to interface to and use pretty basic software that can be found all over the web.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Sounds cool, we have something thats pretty much identical to what you described, only we dont have the LCD displays.

If your other half is a software engineer/developer (pretty much the same as me) then may i reccomend using a 64x128 pixel Graphical LCD display, there super easy to interface to and use pretty basic software that can be found all over the web.
Awesome, thanks dude. Im only really making it for home use as I want one unit to control 6 large vivariums as its getting costly buying thermostats that do nothing but dim the bulb lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.