Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iSTAT Pulse Review

First sorry if this is a bit long but I feel that a good thermostat is the single most important piece of equipment when it comes to good reptile keeping.

I ordered two iSTAT’s, one standard and one with custom length cables. I placed my order with PayPal and as promised they were with me next working day. They arrived well packed each in their own box with a link to download a manual not that you will need it.

So my setup, it consists of brand new habistat heat mats. One lot are 17x11 20w the others are 35x6 22w. Each iSTAT runs only one type of mat obviously. I use the stats for my rack setup which currently contains: 1x Corn, 2x Russian rats, 1x False Water Cobra and 1 Burmese Python. Tubs are 2 x 50L on the 35x6 or 1x 105L per 17x11.

First setup:
The first setup was extremely easy, there are only four buttons on the iSTAT which all have self-explanatory icons; Home, Tick, Up and Down. When you first turn on the iSTAT you are greeted with a loading screen which takes about 30 seconds to clear. I was then greeted with a warning beep with heat mat malfunction displayed on screen; this was because I had not plugged the mat in yet. I then plugged it in and it then took me to the home screen.

I then pressed and held the Home button for about 2 seconds which takes you to the setup screen. Again very simple, 4 options: Day, Night, C/F and Clock. First thing I setup was the clock, pressed the down arrow until it was highlighted and then press the Tick. Then scroll the hour, press the Tick at the desired hour and then scroll the minuet then press and hold the Tick until it beeps and takes you back to the setup home screen. Next was the Day temperature, one thing I noticed here was my custom one started at 240F whereas the normal was 80F. First press of the up arrow took the temp down to 66F and then I used the up arrow to get to 86F. The Max you can set the iSTAT to is 140F so I assume this 240F was from the setup of the custom wires. Anyway after about 10 seconds I had it set where I wanted and again pressed and held the Tick to confirm. This takes you back one menu so next step is to set the Day time start; this is the point at which the stat changes the set target temperature. I set mine for 9:30am. Again this is the same setup procedure as setting the clock. Press the home button once and repeat on the night setting. One thing to note is when I turned mine on for the first time it was already in F, if you want C change that before you set it up. In C you can only go up in whole degrees so F gives you more control.

Ok so I have set it up, no alarms because it gives you 2 hours from plug in to normalise the temps which is good because the alarms are loud. I placed the probe directly on the heat mat. I also placed a thermometer on the mat by the probe so I could see if they matched up. I found that the mat had reached my desired temp of 86F in about 30 mins +/- 2F after an hour the temps seemed solid -0.8F. After the full two hours the temps stayed solid -0.3F. After the first 30 mins the mat has never gone over the set temp it seems to stay within 0.3F at 86F of the set target and within 0.5 at 89F of the target but never goes over which in my view is very good.

The night drop I set to start at 9:30pm and set to 82F. During the day the stat shows approx. 20%-30% power depending on room temperature power to maintain the temp of 86F when it gets to the night time drop time the target instantly changes and the power feed simply stops. I found it takes around 30 mins – 50 mins depending on room temp to get to the night drop temp which I am happy with as it’s not such a shock drop. Once reached the stat starts using 10%-20% to maintain the lower temp. The next day when the time comes the target jumps again and the power is then applied at about 70%+ depending on room temp to get it upto the day temp which takes around 20 mins.
I have now had the stats running for over 2 months solid and not had any problems or alarms with the temps. It’s certainly more consistent that my habistat pulse which keeps things within about 2F and way more than my microclimate although that is a mat stat at around 5F. I particularly like the live digital display with the temp at the probe to within 0.1F which I find matches up well with my independent thermometer.

One question I had was how the iSTAT would react to a loss of power, well quite simply very well. If power is lost the clock keeps ticking and when plugged in it has the 2 hours of not setting alarms off which is nice and all the settings are automatically reinstated.

Overall view and improvements
My overall view of the iSTAT is that it’s very good and I would happily recommend it to others. I give it a 7/10. The price does seem a little on the steep side at full price but it is better made than any other stats I have seen I just feel if it could come in under the £60 mark it would be 8/10. Potential improvements is a tricky one, there are lots of things that could be added to a digital stat but at the same time you don’t want to take away from the simplicity of use the iSTAT offers or bump up the price from too many features. One thing I would like is the ability to set the range of temps for when the alarm goes off.

Whatever happens I will be buying at least two more of these stats for 2 new 6x2x2 vivariums to house my Bosc and Burm when she is a bit bigger.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
good to know

hey thanks for the detailed review. I have been looking at these thermostats too so it is great to hear someone elses experience before buyig one.

has anyone else tried them and want to add any other comments before I commit to buy?

Just saving up the cash as I wat to possibly get 3 of them.

:)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
hey thanks for the detailed review. I have been looking at these thermostats too so it is great to hear someone elses experience before buyig one.

has anyone else tried them and want to add any other comments before I commit to buy?

Just saving up the cash as I wat to possibly get 3 of them.

:)
Brilliant stats,I will defo be replacing all of mine with these when I need to.
Time will tell how long they stay good for but still quality atm

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
How many mats are you controlling with each thermostat? I've been looking for decent multichannel thermostats for a while.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
started with only one but moved to two per stat last week. Did not think I had run it long enough to include it in the review but things look good so far.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Istat is on here, or they sell them directly on eBay !
I can't fault mine at all brilliant piece of kit and so is istat with customer service

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
such a shame these have only come out now as i have been looking for something like this for years, currently i attached a digi thermometer probe to the pulse stat probe and adjust temps that way. now since i am really particular and like everything looking neat and tidy i could not have half my dimmer stats one make and the other half another. also will i spend £600-700 replacing all my old pulses, not really.

So here is a suggestion, will you ever make a large istat that for example has 7-10 attachable probes which is able to control 7-10 heat mats, as this would be idea for people like me who have pro racks, that like individually heating every level separately.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
i am really particular and like everything looking neat and tidy i could not have half my dimmer stats one make and the other half another. also will i spend £600-700 replacing all my old pulses, not really.
Im the same, all of mine are uniformed Habistat. Maybe next year when all my shits paid off, i may convert them all the the iStat though.....

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
These look nice! Are there any other stats that offer timed day and night temps that can be used with a ceramic? Thanks for the review.
Habistat have one that will be released very soon, but I can't fault istat

·
Registered
282 Posts
+1 for the istat.
I've had mine running for a couple of months now and not had any issues whatsoever.
I ordered directly from istat on here and got the stat a couple of days after sending payment. All nicely packaged with the setup pdf on a CD
Setup is so easy and I've done a night time drop on mine too as the feature is available.

I know people worry about reliability with new brands but I've had 2 microclimate stats fail on me in 6 months so even the old "trusted" brands have their issues.
Not had a single blip out of my istat although I realise it's early days.

I'll get another istat when I need another stat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If anybody is thinking of buying one of these stats I suggest you read the thread about Chris Eagleton who makes and supplies these stats. The thread is located in the Classified section under the Classified Chat subsection, it is called RECS is innocent!
Chris Eagleton has ripped off many members of the herp community in the UK for several years under various company names, his initial scam was Herp Shack then he set up RECS which scammed several thousands of pounds off people. His latest venture is Istat and unless a leopard can change it's spots I would be very wary of sending Chris Eagleton any money.
The "RECS is innocent" thread is well worth a read :whistling2:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
If anybody is thinking of buying one of these stats I suggest you read the thread about Chris Eagleton who makes and supplies these stats. The thread is located in the Classified section under the Classified Chat subsection, it is called RECS is innocent!
Chris Eagleton has ripped off many members of the herp community in the UK for several years under various company names, his initial scam was Herp Shack then he set up RECS which scammed several thousands of pounds off people. His latest venture is Istat and unless a leopard can change it's spots I would be very wary of sending Chris Eagleton any money.
The "RECS is innocent" thread is well worth a read :whistling2:
Really? I'm really confused now lol
Are you the Barry that worked with him? as I know there was a lot of crap going on in iStat FB group between someone called Barry and Chris lol, I guess this is one of the reasons I only ever buy equipment from well known companies though :p

Gonna go find that thread now :blush:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Really? I'm really confused now lol
Are you the Barry that worked with him? as I know there was a lot of crap going on in iStat FB group between someone called Barry and Chris lol, I guess this is one of the reasons I only ever buy equipment from well known companies though :p

Gonna go find that thread now :blush:
Makes interesting reading, also IStat is banned on here now, is anyone waiting for a stat?

I was contemplating buying one a while back but put it off due to price hah, just as well really i guess :/ Does anyone know if it is certified? Could be a danger if its not.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Makes interesting reading, also IStat is banned on here now, is anyone waiting for a stat?

I was contemplating buying one a while back but put it off due to price hah, just as well really i guess :/ Does anyone know if it is certified? Could be a danger if its not.
Which thread am I looking for? I see four or five different ones and too lazy to read though them all :Na_Na_Na_Na:

I have heard a lot of people on his FB group saying they're still waiting for orders from a while ago but he's saying they'll be all out this month (last I read at least) and there was apparently problems with someone called Barry that worked with him and messed up orders or.. I dunno lol didn't catch it all :whistling2:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.